Learning in a digital age/LiDA101/Learning in a digital age/Rising costs of education
- Find out what the gross enrolment ratio for tertiary (or post secondary) education means and scan this ratio for a few countries you know.
- Visit the UNESCO Institute for Statistics website and:
- Establish the gross enrolment ratio for tertiary education for your own country
- Identify two low income countries from the developing regions of the world and note their gross enrolment ratio for tertiary education
- Identify two two high income countries from highly industrialised regions of the world and note their gross enrolment ratio for tertiary education
- How do these rates compare to your own country?
- Consult your notes from watching Anya Kamenetz's TEDxAtlanta talk. Note, this presentation was recorded in 2010 and provides the opportunity to reflect on the probability of Anya's predictions taking into account developments since the recording was made.
- Explore the phenomenon of "free" online learning by consulting a few of the stimulus resources above.
- Consider the impact of alternate credentialing in higher education.