General characteristic of Annelida
General characters of Annelida
1. Habitat:- mostly aquatic, marine or freshwater, burrowing or free living.
2. Body is elongated and vermiform.
3. Triploblastic,metamerically segmented body.
4. Cuticle (secreted by epidermis) covers the whole body; outer covering.
4. Appendages ( if present ) are unjointed.
5. Locomotory organ:-setae or chetae, segmentally arranged.
6. Respiration through body surface , in some by gills.
7. Blood vascular system:- close type(blood is red due to presence of haemoglobin.
8. Excretion by nephredia (paired and segmented).
9. nervous system:- consist of brain and segmental ganglia.
10. Direct development (when sexes are separate), indirect (when sexes are united).