VirtualMV/Internet and Web/Graphic Design/Content
By the end of this page you will be able to:
- No matter how well-organized and interesting your content, graphics set the tone.
- You can create a good impression with some well designed graphics on the home page.
- Repeat a few design elements throughout the site to create a sense of continuity.
- This is just one of many common sense guidelines to follow in creating appealing pages.
- A good designer can be of enormous help.
- The most important thing to keep in mind in choosing graphic designers is to work with professionals who understand the unique requirements of the Web.
- The technical limitations (and opportunities) of web pages are foreign to most graphic designers trained in other media.
- File size requirements, color limitations, and screen resolutions are much different from those in print. Even if you have an in-house graphics department, you may want to hire a Web-savvy graphic designer to bring your people up to speed on the demands of online design.
Some interesting things about stuff's web page design are:
- Stuff uses a navagation bar at the top of the page, instead of the left or right hand side.
- As you scroll down the page it shows a brief glimpse at the newest content of each page on the navigation bar.
- On the right side as you scroll down, they have less news related things such as horoscopes, quiz's, puzzles etc in smal lboxes.
- The top of the page looks cluttered with advertisements, weather and the logo.
- September 2011: They placed a banner for the Rugby World Cup (RWC) at the top of their homepage, most likely because it will be one of the most popular, if not most popular area of the website during the RWC.