VirtualMV/Digital Learning Technologies/Social/Instant Messaging
|Digital Learning Technologies|
|Social technologies||eMail | Discussion boards | Instant Messaging | Facebook | Linked-in | Pinboards | Web conferencing | Other|
Instant messaging (IM) is a form of real-time direct text-based chatting communication in push mode between two or more people using personal computers or other devices, along with shared clients. The user's text is conveyed over a network, such as the Internet. More advanced instant messaging software clients also allow enhanced modes of communication, such as live voice or video calling and inclusion of links to media.
- Viber - Free calls, Instant messaging. [ http://www.viber.com/en/ ] ~Loblackhawk
- Microsoft: Live Messenger (and Lynx)
- Google - attached to gmail
- In Adobe connect it allows students without a web cam or microphone to interact with the class
- Yahoo! Messenger
- U-Stream ( http://www.ustream.tv/ ) Live streaming video
- 3D : IMVU (http://www.imvu.com/)
- meebo (2009)\
- Facebook Messenger: Instant messaging [ https://www.messenger.com/ ] Justin Turner
- WhatsApp: Real time messaging. [www.whatsapp.com] Krishna
- Kik Messenger: Instant messenger for Mobile/Tablets [ http://www.kik.com/ ] (Renwis1 (talk) 22:31, 17 March 2016 (UTC))
- Instagram: Ability to upload pictures or videos on the go to be seen by people following you [ https://www.instagram.com/ ] Jared Travers
- Twitter is an information network made up of 140-character messages called Tweets. It's an easy way to discover the latest news related to subjects (Twitter, 2015) --Abuzzyworld (talk) 01:32, 16 March 2015 (UTC)
- Flashy ways to display a twitter feed ( http://www.cats-pyjamas.net/2011/06/twitterwalls-the-writings-on-the-wall/ )
- Is Twitter a Waste of Time? - Infographic 
This Twitter Tutorial for Beginners is a great way to learn how to use Twitter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBDYYGER5iM
Twitter is now available for Apple Watch via ITunes (the place where you get the app from). The app is also designed for iPhone and iPad and is free to download. Twitter is an online social network which enables people to send and read short messages. Registered users can send and read whilst unregistered users can only read messages.
Google Hangouts Hangouts works across multiple platforms and devices eg. Android and Apple, phones, tablets and computers. Once you have created a hangout group with everyone to be involved added, you can message them by simply typing, or by voice or even video. Hangouts shows you when others have read your message and when they are responding. If someone in the group isn't online or available they will receive an alert when they come online. You can have as many group chats on hangouts as you like and they will all be available at any time after creation. (Google Hangouts, 2015) Ellapatterson (talk) 03:19, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
Viber is a mobile application that allows you to make phone calls and send text messages to all other Viber users for free! Viber is available over WiFi or 3G.
It doesn't matter whether you and your friends are on the same network or even in a completely different country, you can talk and text as much as you want! Just make sure your friends have Viber.
Viber has over 608 million registered accounts.
- A big advantage is that the conversation is recorded and can be read quickly (our reading speed is much faster than our listening speed)
- The disadvantage is that the actual conversation depends on the typing skills of the participants.
Facebook messenger is Facebook's new version of instant messenger. It is an app available across a range of devices and is available on Android and Apple. It allows you to instant message any other Facebook user in real time. It is also connected to the web based messenger service Facebook uses.
Skype, a software application for online communication has been used in various levels, providing many possiblities for teaching and learning.Skype enables communication without the limitations of time and space. Skype in the classroom launched in March 2011,
which is a website especially designed for educational purposes. It is a platform where teachers and students can discuss information about their classes, share educational resources and find partners to start class projects.
Skype also allows busy parents to do parent-teacher interviews whilst being at work.Currently more than 66 thousand teachers across the globe already are using Skype to make learning more exciting, memorable and engaging for their students.
- WHO'S THERE, INC. (n.d.) Paper Tweet - 140 Characters or Less by Knock Knock. Retrieved August 8, 2010 from http://www.knockknock.biz/catalog/categories/pads/nifty-notes/paper-tweet-nifty-note/
- meebo (2009). Retrieved April 2, 2009 from http://www.meebo.com/
- Harrison, J. (2011) Is Twitter a Waste of Time? - Infographic. Retrieved from http://www.interactyx.com/blog/is-twitter-a-waste-of-time-infographic
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found