- digital brownies - everyone knows what is expected and what will be delivered when the call goes out for brownies for a bake sale. What is the functional equivalent for virtual volunteering?
Online volunteering opportunities
- VolunteerMatch Learning Center - volunteer management - This webinar will walk you through the three primary Rs - recruitment, retention and recognition. We'll discuss the most popular program components such as interviews, orientations, volunteer handbooks, and more. And, we'll talk about the importance of managing risk for your program and your organization.
Many organizations depend on volunteers to achieve their goals. Too often organizations fail to cultivate and use volunteers effectively. With the global reach of online opportunities, exciting new possibilities (and problems) are opening.
Many people would like to help organizations that share their interests. These individuals and groups often have time and technology available that can be directed to good work, if the volunteer activities are planned and promoted. Just as in-person volunteers need to understand the tasks and the intented outcomes, so too do online volunteers. With planning and flexibility, organizations can leverage these remote resources to the benefit of the all.
- using online volunteers - consider the possibilities
- benefits - resources, visibility, good will, connections with like-minded organizations and individuals, not limited by proximity of available volunteers
- how to get started - project planning, volunteer opportunity promotion
- activities - what work can be done remotely, defining tasks
- volunteer coordination - recruiting, screening, managing work, support, follow-up, thank you
- bad things - spam
- what works - current web presence, email newsletters, volunteer directory listings, events, frequent project updates, volunteer appreciation
Using online volunteers
Using online volunteers is an effective means to increase resources and provide additional visibility for your projects. There are a number of organizations that provide a connection point for organizations and volunteers. Some are international, while others are primarily country specific. Here are some examples of the organizations and their work.
- UN Online Volunteering http://onlinevolunteering.org/
- VolunteerMatch http://www.volunteermatch.org/opportunities/virtual.jsp
- UNV honours Online Volunteering Teams of the Year 2007 - highlights 10 great programs coordinated through Online Volunteering http://onlinevolunteering.org/news/news_article.php?art_id=1533
- H.E.L.P. India “Human Education and Liberation for Poor” - an example of one of the groups listing volunteer opportunities at Online Volunteering http://www.helpkidsindia.org/old_site/index.php
- VolunteerMatch Virtual Volunteering - showcases opportunities for volunteering using a computer, Internet connection, phone, and/or fax. http://www.volunteermatch.org/opportunities/virtual.jsp
... also see community service learning