Welcome to CIS89A Web Development
Welcome to CIS89A Web Development
- Webmaking: More than just coding, webmaking is the act of creating, understanding, and promoting content on the Web
In this course, you will learn the Fundamentals of Web page design and creation: designing, encoding, and maintaining pages on the World Wide Web using HTML5. The course format is skill-based practice using HTML and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) along with question-based student discussions.
All web pages are built using a few essential elements. Through practice assignments, reading and discussions, you will learn to develop entire web sites and control the appearance, formatting and contents of a site using these elements.
Just a few quick notes then, please start working on the course.
- All assignments for a module are due on the due date listed in the CIS89A Syllabus at 11:30pm. Late will be accepted but points will be deducted. Complete the assignments even if they are late.
- Please let me know if you can not turn in your work on time - family, work,... and provide an estimate of when you can get it in.
Textbook - Optional, recommended
NOTE: The sequence of the topics is different from most HTML guides. Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are introduced and practiced from the beginning. Most other guides and tutorials introduce CSS as an advanced topic or at least wait until most of the other element types have been covered.
- HTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide (8th Edition) * Visual Quickstart Guides [Paperback] Elizabeth Castro (Author), Bruce Hyslop (Author) Publication Date: August 19, 2013 ISBN-10: 0321928830 ISBN-13: 978-0321928832 Edition: 8 - learn HTML and CSS - reference's visual format and step-by-step, task-based instructions. clear instructions and friendly prose to introduce all of today's HTML and CSS essentials. Features current web design best practices. design, structure, and format website. new elements and form input types in HTML5. create and use images, links, styles, and forms; add video, audio, and other multimedia to your site. You'll learn how to add visual effects with CSS3. You'll understand web standards and learn from code examples that reflect today's best practices. test and debug your site, and publish it to the web. all of HTML and essential coverage of HTML5 and CSS techniques. * textbook * code examples
- HTML Dog HTML Beginner Tutorial - assumes that you have absolutely no previous knowledge of HTML or CSS. It should be easy to follow if you work through each page and then, to celebrate, everything that’s covered is brought together at the end, before moving on to the CSS Beginner Tutorial.
Be sure to read these as they include important information about the course
- CIS89A Syllabus
- Canvas Student Guide
- Discussion participation
If you have questions, please contact me. I usually get back within 24 hours. You can post general questions to the Questions discussion. This will help others who may have had a similar question, or it may be answered by other students. You can reach me by email at taylorvalerie (at) deanza (dot) edu
Please get started right away working on the Getting Started module.
- You can work ahead through the course at your own pace, but you must participate in the discussions for the current module - see the CIS89A Syllabus for the dates for each module.
- If you are not regularly participating in discussions and submitting assignments, you may be dropped from the course.
2016.3 960 . 2016.12 1644 . 2018.3 2337