User:Tallong/Temp/How can a wiki be used to educate.doc
How can a wiki be used to educate?
Wikis are powerful tools for teaching because they do not require any physical presence in order to educate.
- long distance learning
- teaching materials easily uploaded
- both students and instructors can work on or off of the wiki
- skills assessment: no more danger of cheating than in traditional assignments, i.e. term/research papers; take-home examinations.
- vandalism can be minimized by restricting access to parts of the wiki or to certain functions. It can be virtually eliminated by ‘closing’ the wiki, that is, requiring registration and/or proof of identity for registration.
- only need to verify users once; then user can sign in using a password to confirm identity.
- images, scans and video can be uploaded to the wiki
- students can work cooperatively or alone
- work submitted by students can be evaluated easily