Terminology, Which in plain English, means, Names
- How Far Can you Go ? ----->> Distance
- How Quick Can you go? ------>>Speed
- How Long will you take to go where you want to go ? ------>> Time
Those are the only three things that you need to be aware of while doing questions on Speed, Distance & Time
Variables, means short-forms for things that are not yet known
So, Lets give these big words short names that are easy to remember
- Lets give Distance a smaller name and call it D
- And, lets give Speed a smaller name and call it S
- And finally, lets shorten Time to T
Formulas, Or Rules that will help solve your problem
- There is really only one rule that you need to remember
SPEED = DISTANCE divided by TIME
S = D divided by T
How do I use the formula to solve the Problem
Rules to use this formula:
- The variables in the bottom are multiplied
- The variable on the top is the dividend
- So, if one of the variable is unknowm, then just perform the operation on the other two as given in the triangle
i.e. if T is not known then remove, T from the triangle and the two remaining D and S form the formula D divided by S
So How do I approach a problem ?
- Simple Problems
- Read the Problem first and find out what information is given
- Out of the three, Speed, Distance and Time, two of them will be given
- If Speed is given, then say S="given speed"
- If Distance is given, then say D="given distance"
- If Time is given, then say T="given time"
- List what needs to be found out
- Finally use the formula to find out whatever variable is missing.
i.e. if S is not known, use D and T from the formula above to find it