References & Resources
- Wikinomics Text
Ensuring Relevant Content for Learners, Conference Attendees
- Challenge: Obtain real-time information regarding learners' interests, and ensure up-to-date, relevant content.
- Used a wiki as a tool before their summer school / conference, and as a followup to it (summer school). Create online opportunities to meet other students, learn their interests and target education / curricula to the learners
- Learners put up their profile, pictures, shared interests as well as all conference materials and different links to different websites. Chats going with other learners before conference
- Results: Allowed conference organizers to customize content, and target to learners' interests - before and during the conference.
- Feedback: "I thought it was a really cool use of technology. It was a very interactive workshop." - a conference participant from the federal government.
Stephen Huffman, VP & CTO, MITRE Corporation - Idea Market, an online collaborative environment focused on generating, discussing, and managing ideas for new R&D projects. Any staff member can submit an idea through the platform. All other staff can comment and offer suggestions and vote. Launched in Spring 2009, the forum attracted 850 idea submissions and roughly 1,000 discussion threads during its first 30 days — all based upon a 40 percent participation rate across the entire MITRE employee base.
- Success factor: An ongoing communications campaign that has included weekly reminders, participation recaps, and statistics of most popular ideas.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
As part of AAFC's Sustainable Development strategy: Knowledge of water resources is increased.; and Water efficiency and sustainable water use is improved.
- Increased adoption of and support for applying an Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) approach to watershed planning and management activities that will improve the protection of water quality from agriculture impacts, secure water supplies for agricultural needs, and consider the three elements of sustainable development.
- Supporting Performance Measure: Percentage of transferable tools, knowledge activities and instruments that support IWRM and decision making.
- Achieved Departmental Results: Progress on drafts of new web-based tools (e.g. National Water Atlas (NWA), Rural Water Resources Planner) which provide water resource information for decision-making at the watershed level. A prototype of the NWA is available through GCPedia and draft products are being developed. Planning is under development to incorporate the Rural Water Resources Planner into NLWIS.
- Source: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/dpr-rmr/2008-2009/inst/agr/st-ts08-eng.asp
AIDS.gov - Collaborating with Federal and Community Partners to Improve Access to HIV and New Media Information: Lessons Learned from AIDS.gov
- Miguel Gomez (AIDS.gov, Office of HIV/AIDS Policy, Office of the Secretary, HHS)
1:25pm Wednesday, 05/26/2010 Social Networks and Collaboration
Government of Ontario: Implementing an Open, Enterprise Social Media Platform Within Government
- David Tallan (Government of Ontario [Canada]), 2:05pm Wednesday, 05/26/2010
- Presentation: Implementing an Open, Enterprise Social Media Platform Within Government Presentation [PPT]
- Source: http://www.gov2expo.com/gov2expo2010/public/schedule/detail/12728
OPSpedia is the internal professional networking site for the Ontario Public Service, and is inspired by Wikipedia and Intellipedia (and GCpedia, and CivilWiki), but we went a different direction than our colleagues in other jurisdictions and instead of providing a variety of web based tools (a wiki, a social network, social bookmarks, etc). A website was built by customizing popular open source tools, offering capabilities in a single user interface. This talk isn’t about OPSpedia itself, but rather how we made it happen in the face of stiff, and common, bureaucratic challenges.
Natural Resources Canada
- NRCan Wiki
HRSDC Interactive Forum
- coming soon
References & Resources
- Government of Canada Best Practices 2.0 wiki
- Social Media Superlist
- The Collaboration Project: Case Studies
- Google Search Keywords: corporate collaboration social media success stories
- Open Source Givers and Takers - Taking without giving isn't the problem. We need better open source contribution metrics, by Mike Loukides, O'Reilly Radar, Aug. 13, 2010
- How to Facilitate Virtual Teams, Otago Educational Blog