User:Pooja srivastava/E-Museum/Coelentrata/Some Common Examples/Some Common Examples
Sea anemone or Plumose anemons
Found on the Atlantic Coast, Northen Pacific coast and Europe.
It is marine in nature and found attached to the rocks and solid objects from tide pools to a depth of 90 fathoms.
- Body is cylindrical and divisiblle into 3 distinct reagions, pedal disc, column and oral disc.
- The body size may vary from few centimeters to 1 meter.
- Pedal disc (foot) helps in attachment with substratum.
- Column is diffrentiated into two portions-Capitulum(thin walled ) and Scapus(thick walled).The wall of scapus is perforated by small openings called cinclides.
- Mouth is surrounded by numeros tentacles.
- Mouth opens into gastrovascular cavity via a short gullet.
- Sea anemones are predaceous, immobilizing their prey with the aid of specialized stinging cells called nematocysts.
- Sea anemones feed on small planktons.
- Sexes are separate.Gonads are present on mesentries.