|Occupation:||lobsterman - Freelance ICT advisor/teacher|
|Other roles:||Moderator/Translator; PCLinuxOS.nl skype=oli4lebreton|
Hi Everyone !
Among other things I am a part-time teacher at IntraTeach.nl weekly classes UbuntuGNU/Linux & OOo-suite. A fervent advocate of open source ever since I got to now the OpenOffice.org suite and following that GNU/Linux several years ago. My wife and 17 yr old daughter have nicknamed me Olinux, mockingly, because of my enthusiasm and willingness to talk about the advantages of GNU/Linux over MSwindows. I am also a cabinetmaker and quite knowledgeable on seafoods, especially shellfish and oysters in particular.
About Gnu/Linux and OpenSource
One of the most inspiring aspects of the open source community is, just that: it is Open. The willingness to share knowledge, the warm welcome and help one receives at fora, on which one depends when starting out as a 'noob' or 'newbie'. Although the learning curve, for someone wanting to go beyond the Linux GUI (Grafical User Interface), might seem steep at first, the rewards are great in terms of Freedom of choice. You get a lot of choices when you use Linux, but this freedom brings along responsibility. And to take responsible choices, one needs knowledge, so Linux does take one into an ever evolving learning circle, which is just what I love about it.
The GNU/Linux GUI's (there are quite a lot out there) have evolved recently into a very user friendly operating systems, offering much the same functionality, if not more, without the costly licenses and constant threat of viruses and malware.
- What is Linux, who are Linus and Tux?
- What is a distribution (or distro)?
- What is a desktop-environment?
- Security (virusses, spyware)
- Is Linux difficult?
- Advantages -- Disadvantages
- Is Linux for me?
- From Windows to Gnu/Linux
- Freelance teacher at IntraTeach; Introductory course to GNU/Linux, Ubuntu and Open Office to personnel of a company switching from MS to Linux.
- Oysterman; opening oysters at private and business party's, weddings, fairs and all sorts of events or workshops.
- Creating Digital Archives; Convert paper archive into searchable digital archive. Documents are scanned and (OCR)searchable pdf and/or html documents are created as well as a comprehensive index file, containing all titles of all available files and directories.
- Free Website Hosting and domain registration: Free open source installer scripts to set up wiki's, blogs, fora and more....
- Freelance ICT advisor for open source CRM/ERP implementations.
- Coordinator in international road and maritime transport and logistics.
- Qualified cabinet maker. Also private introductory courses
- Canoe building and trips
- Computers (refurbishing and installing GNU/Linux)
- Moderator/Translator at Dutch PCLinuxOS Forum
- Translator TinyMe Linux Documentation
WikiEducator News & Events
|Storytelling and Culture|
Saturday, September 5, 2009
|Check your time||JOIN US|
Notes from my Wikineighbours
- Congratulations Oliver, you are a natural WikiEducator. --Gladys Gahona 21:47, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
- Excellent work on your page, Oliver. --Nellie Deutsch 21:38, 1 April 2009 (UTC)
- Very nice to meet you as a fellow participant in the WikiEd tutorial Please come and look at my user page and sandbox. If you see an area where we can collaborate, let me know, also if I can be of any assistance at all. --Philbartle 03:47, 24 March 2009 (UTC)
Hi Oliver, I'm your WikiNeighbour. Welcome to the EL4C21 Workshop. You might be interested to meet more Wiki-Colleagues. Visit WikiEducator FAQs. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you. Gladys Gahona., Junior Facilitator. --chela5808 14:54, 21 March 2009 (UTC) (: Hi Oliver, well done. Now please add a brief description about you Regards Anil Prasad 10:29, 24 March 2009 (UTC))
- HiOliver, thanks for your comments and am happy that you liked it.Regards--Anubha Das