User:Jan Ferguson/Temp/Week 2 Questions.doc
Contemporary Issues in HR.
Take a look at the New Zealand Statistics websites and any associated reports.
Once you have had a browse around identify the key statistical areas which you may think are of significant use to Human Resources professionals
- Show how is this information useful (or not) in determining HR strategy within any organisation nationally
- What can you extrapolate from this data when reviewing any contemporary issues? e.g. skills gaps, migration, work life balance, emerging global issues
- What complementary data or information would you need to find to validate your use and application of this data?
National Population Projections
- Identify 3 issues which may be informed by the findings of the Population projections.
- Look at the population pyramids. If you were determining a succession plan or a 5-10 year business strategy how would you use this information?
- What comparative data or information would you need to find to validate your use and application of this data?
Migration and Economic Growth
- How is immigration good for economic growth – what are the 4 economic arguments?
- Why must long term data be influential in determining policy?
- Why is it important to look at not only the data but types of migration?
- Look at this phrase from page 3. The Business Stream is also part of the government's residence programme. The objective of Business Immigration Policy is to contribute to economic growth through increasing New Zealand's level of Human Capital, encouraging enterprise and innovation and fostering external links Discuss the concept of human capital.
- Is it essential for HR strategists to consider the Family Stream, Nation Building and Refugee Viewpoint?
- Look at the following statement One strand of the literature is firmly rooted in the economics of international trade, while another employs methods of labour economics. Some economic growth models have implicitly incorporated migration as an explanatory variable. Another approach involves the use of a growth accounting framework. A further approach used by Chapple and Yeablsey (Chapple and Yeabsley 1996, used neoclassical economic theory with some short - run Keynesian interactions to identify the channels through which migration affects national welfare and discuss the implications for HR policy makers or strategists?
- Pages 8 and 9 Investigate the concept of economic theories; neo classical, Keynesian and trade models theory. Are these useful to HR in this context?
- Evaluate the Labour Market model and show what arguments this would generate in a HR context?
- Reichlin and Rusticini (p12) have looked at mobile capital as part of growth – discuss their approach?
- P19 – evaluate the participation rates and what are the associated difficulties for migrants?
- How might the under- employment issue be resolved?
- From the rest of the document draw out 3 major factors discussed and show how they may influence HR policy or strategy. (Especially part 7).
- Consider the use of this data overall in terms of developing a Workforce Planning Strategy.