My name is Brendan Smith. I am an educator, with a family, and seven years of living in Vietnam.
After many years as a business journalist I am now teaching English at the Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) campus of an Australian university.
My preference is for a communicative style of teaching. Students gain much more by contributing.
Developing educational technology resources for students is what I have been focusing on, helping both teachers and students go beyond a basic online presentce of email, chatting or researching through the Internet.
Getting out of the smoggy city to enjoy the beach, forests and mountains is what I enjoy when there is time to relax.
My wiki projects
- I registered for eL4C41, a Learning4Content workshop to learn wiki skills so that I could pass on those skills to colleagues and students. Subsequently I joined the eL4C42 worksop to keep building my wiki skills.
- My optional community service (learning contract) project
||By signing this optional learning contract I will try to complete my training in basic wiki editing skills to achieve the status of a Wikibuddy. In return for this free training opportunity, I will give the gift of knowledge by donating or developing at least one free content resource licensed under a CC-BY-SA or CC-BY license which can be used by myself (and others) on WikiEducator.|
| Brief description of project
||I will provide a resource that educators can use to motivate students to collaborate by means of a wiki because it wikis are used widely by businesses and experience in their use will stand the students in good stead when they seek employment.|
| Target date for completion
|| October 31, 2010.|
||Brendan Smith 13:58, 4 September 2010 (UTC)|
Feedback and notes from my WikiNeighbours
- Hello Brendan! If would be great to hear your experiences as to what was most beneficial to you in learning the wiki skills necessary to contribute to WE. --Benjamin Stewart 13:35, 4 August 2010 (UTC)
- Hello Brendan! I encourage you all to visit the requirements of becoming a WikiApprentice 1 and WikiApprentice 2, as we are here to help you achieve these goals. Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. --Benjamin Stewart 12:34, 21 July 2010 (UTC)
- Congratulations on setting up your sandbox, Brendan! --Benjamin Stewart 14:04, 25 July 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Brendan, you have made a nice start. Now keep going by adding more content, apply what you are learning during the course of each day. You are not far from a higher certification. Warm wishes--Patricia Schlicht 19:25, 30 August 2010 (UTC)
Role as Ambassador
I sent to my colleagues this note to encourage them to participate in the WikiEducator project. It sparked some immediate interest, suggesting it may bear fruit at some later stage.
(: Thanks for doing this.--Patricia Schlicht 16:36, 6 September 2010 (UTC))
I had already written about the WikiEducator venture here.
How long have you been in Vietnam, Branda. I'm from Vietnam and love to see onemore person from my country. Have you got any chances travelling around the country? Come and visit Danang City, the most beautiful and cleanest city of the country. Long
Hi Long. I have just now read your description of your studies. So you are in the language teaching business, too!--Brendan Smith 09:27, 31 July 2010 (UTC)
Learning Contract project
Facilitators - eL4C42
- The WikiEducator "Inspiring to become an Agent of Change" Online Workshop Learning4Content wiki skills workshop - 25 August to 8 September, 2010.
- The facilitators: