The Early Church: Its Growth and Extension
- 1 Section A: The Church Continuing and Extending Christ's Redemptive work in Apostolic Age
- 2 Section B: Further Extension of the Church up to A.D. 451
Section A: The Church Continuing and Extending Christ's Redemptive work in Apostolic Age
The Gospel to the Jews
(2) Witnessing to the Jews
(3) Opposition and dispersal of Christian community
Carrying the gospel beyond the Jewish Nation
(1) Message to dispersed Jews
(2) Persecution leads to spreading of the message
(3) Message to the Gentiles
(4) Jewish law and Gentile Christians
The Gospel and Aspects of Gentile Religion
(1) Magic: Elymas
Simon the Magician
(2) Vested Interests: Spirit of Divination
Way of Life of the Early Christian
(1) Prayer and worship.
(2) Common Life.
(3) Unity of spirit in the Early Church.
(5) Position of women.
(6) Faith of the Early Christians.
Outstanding Characters of the Early Church
(1) Life of Peter
(2) Life of Paul
Section B: Further Extension of the Church up to A.D. 451
Defense of Christianity. Tertullian.
Struggle with Philosophers
Alexandrian catechetical school. Clement, Origen.
Struggle for holiness. Pachomius. Anthony.
Definition of the Faith
Spread of the Faith
Libya. Nubia. Ethiopia.
The geographical extension of the Church up to AD 451.