The Anatomy and Physiology of Animals/The Cell Worksheet
1. The cell is divided into 3 main parts. These are:
2. Two principal molecules make up the plasma membrane. These are:
3. The Cytoplasm is: (Choose the correct option)
- The fluid within the nucleus
- The fluid around the nucleus plus the organelles
- The fluid around the nucleus minus the organelles
- The fluid surrounding the cell
4. The cytosol contains: (Circle the correct options)
- sodium ions
- iron ions
- amino acids
- the plasma membrane
- carbon dioxide
5. Label the parts of the cell in the diagram below.
Use the labels: Nucleus, Plasma membrane, Cytosol, Nuclear membrane, Ribosomes, Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum, Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum, Golgi body, Mitochondrion, Lysosome, Centrioles, Nucleolus
6. a. What is this organelle called?
- b. What does it do in the cell?
7. a. What is this organelle called?
- b. What is its function in the cell?
8. Match the structure with its function in the table below.
|A. Plasma membrane||a. Producing energy|
|B. Golgi body||b. Making proteins from amino acids|
|C. Lysosome||c. Controlling what enters and leaves the cell|
|D. Nucleus||d. Modifying, enclosing and dispatching proteins|
|E. Cytoplasm||e. Breaking down and recycling bacteria and worn out organelles|
|F. Centrioles||f. Making, storing and transporting proteins|
|G. Smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER)||g. Surrounding the nucleus|
|H. Rough endoplasmic reticulum (RER)||h. Organising the spindle in cell division|
|I. Ribosomes||i. Controlling the activities in the cell|
|J. Mitochondrion||k. Making and transporting fats|
9. True or false?
- a. The cytosol consists mainly of water. T / F
- b. Ribosomes are found attached to the membrane of smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER). T / F
- c. The cytoplasm consists of the cytosol plus organelles and cell inclusions. T / F
- d. Cellular respiration takes place in the Golgi bodies. T / F
- e. The chromosomes in the nucleus consist mainly of RNA. T / F
- f. The nuclear membrane consists of two layers like the plasma membrane. T / F
- g. Proteins made in the RER move to the centrioles for processing. T / F
- h. Lysosomes contain enzymes. T / F
- i. Glycogen and fat droplets are often found in the cytosol. T / F
- j. Ribosomes join fatty acids together to make lipids. T / F