Talk:Wikieducator tutorial/Editing Basics/Archive
Brent: We need to think of a sensible structure here. --Mackiwg 09:16, 17 December 2006 (CET)
Thoughts on breaking Activity down into smaller chucks
Brent, Helena - I think we should break down the Activity into smaller steps - there is too much information for a new user to work through in the Activity as it stands at the moment. So for example:
- First activity - Click on edit and type a sentence, for example "My name is Joe Blog" then Click on Save page. The Tip is to warn folk that if they don't click save and close the browser - they will loose their work
- Next activity - get them to add another sentence and then explain the the preview button.
- Next activity - Direct folk to a few examples (boring/classic examples to intriguing) for ideas to include in their user profile. Indicate that they will learn more about formatting and images in the next tutorial - the idea of this activity is to generate ideas for some text on the user page. Then use this activity to explain the Summary text box.
Where possible use images which highlight the buttons buy circling in red or something. Too much data can be confusing for folk with very basic IT skills.
Also, we must develop a short screen movie for each tutorial. --Mackiwg 06:33, 10 January 2007 (CET)
Possible structure for this tut
Home page - with an overview and audio message. Then the following sub-pages
- Edit mode (explain difference between edit & preview)
- My first edit (First activity above)
- Special features (Show preview button and the Edit summary, plus activity to review examples of user pages for ideas and write a paragraph about yourself)
- Show me - for the screen movie
- Summary and FAQ's
see Wayne's suggestions above.
This tutorial just needs the Screen Movie and the mp3 intro statement. brent 22:30, 28 January 2007 (CET)
hmm... uploaded my mp3 but i came out like a chipmunk as well! brent 07:10, 11 February 2007 (CET)
resaved mp3 at 96kbpm and seems to work ok; not all that happy with my mp3 and may do again, but will do for now. brent 09:03, 11 February 2007 (CET)
Brent - the MP3 is fine - thanks. That said - you're free to change it at any time <smile>. Do you want to have a bash at converting http://www.wikieducator.org/images/5/52/Africa.mp3 to 96kbpm to see if we can get Nicholas's MP3 working? - see http://www.wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/Basic_Text_Formatting . --Mackiwg 23:25, 11 February 2007 (CET)