Talk:EDSLIONS/weekly discussions/May 01, 2011

From WikiEducator
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Thread titleRepliesLast modified
Wrap up517:35, 1 May 2011
Wrap up317:26, 1 May 2011
EPM Assignment Part c1117:25, 1 May 2011
EPM Assignment - Deadlines1117:19, 1 May 2011
EPM Assignment Part b1717:09, 1 May 2011
Wrap up017:09, 1 May 2011
MBLEPMY UPDATE & WAY FORWARD316:32, 1 May 2011
EPM Assignment Part a316:21, 1 May 2011
QUORUM816:15, 1 May 2011
Our take aways from today's meeting?
JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:09, 1 May 2011

JC I think you should wrap up by giving an overview of major factors that we have agreed upon today and the timelines. Thanks

Hove (talk)17:12, 1 May 2011

Agreed actions include: 1. JC to compile draft today and issue tomorrow by 1000am.

2. Part B will be done in both narrative and tabular, and group can decide. Ideally 1 page per fundamental, including challenges, recommendations and justification. this sould take up 10 pages in total.

3. Hove to start working on Part C tomorrow.

4. Shumi to call Calvin and discuss.

5. Wiki discussion same time tomorrow.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:24, 1 May 2011

Good evening lads, lets catch up on email.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:27, 1 May 2011

Thanks JC. Have a blessed evening.

Victor.mensah (talk)17:30, 1 May 2011

Thanks guys lets meet again tommorrow. Schweet

Hove (talk)17:35, 1 May 2011
 
 
 
 
 
Our take aways from today's meeting?
JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:08, 1 May 2011

its been very good JC. Thanks for your leadership and push on this.

Please consider doing a summary for today

Victor.mensah (talk)17:16, 1 May 2011

Thanks guys, have a goog evening.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:26, 1 May 2011
 

Thanks Guys. This has been a very constructive meeting and well chaired. I'm not sure though what we agreed on the Tables versus non-tables: Sorry JC I just saw your response below.

--Shumimlingo 17:19, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)17:19, 1 May 2011
 

EPM Assignment Part c

1. This is pending - it can only be completed once part a and b have been done.

2. Hove is responsible - confirm if you can still deliver given the tight deadline.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:15, 1 May 2011

JC there is part C and D which is the conclusion.We need to rope in more members to assist.I cannot manage to finish the whole parts alone taking into consideration that i have done part 2 also. I think JC you are moving very fast without getting members' input. Slow down a bit.

Hove (talk)16:27, 1 May 2011

Sorry if I am too fast for you Hove, all I have done is to lay the agenda. Its up to the members to make their contributions at their own pace.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:30, 1 May 2011

I am not sure if we are moving too fast here at all. We have very few days left. I am definitly an underdog in this topic so if members have some great inputs, lets trust their inputs. I am waiting to provide some further support in editing and general styling also after all is set and done. This seems like a hige assignment unlike any we have ever done before. Thanks all for the wonderful inputs so far.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:37, 1 May 2011
 
 

Can we consider Calvin for this since we covered for him????

--Shumimlingo 16:45, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:45, 1 May 2011

Shumi doyou think waiting for will work.Iam not sure here since we waited for his contribution and it was not forthcoming. Unless he is called to clarify his thoughts i think that will help us in a way. But guys we cannot afford to loose any more time without focussing on the assignments.

Hove (talk)16:53, 1 May 2011

noted.

Shumimlingo (talk)16:56, 1 May 2011

Calvin has since still not been online here. He has not responded to my emails with instuctions on joing this chat.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:59, 1 May 2011
 
 

Shumi has Calvin arrived as yet? We need to know his position that if he can take section c & d with our assistance

Hove (talk)16:59, 1 May 2011

I can call Calvin tommorrow morn and I'll update the group on his response. Perhaps we can make the decision on part c and d then. It seems everyone is under a heavy load now and there are no takers. If Calvin can't take up these parts it will be difficult to allocate him any marks. --Shumimlingo 17:04, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)17:04, 1 May 2011

Thanks Shumi. Please call him and lets see.

If need be, and since moro is still a holiday, can we perhaps consider another wiki chat if that is at all necesary?

Victor.mensah (talk)17:10, 1 May 2011

Shumi i agree with Victor lets have another chat. I think Calvin, Luisa and Shungu willbe available as well.Give us the time please i think its important

Hove (talk)17:25, 1 May 2011
 
 
 
 
 

EPM Assignment - Deadlines

1. Can we agree on deadlines for the initial draft to tomorrow?

2. Can every member ensure that they check their email and read the document, and make comments. Would be good for everyone to acknowledge so that we know we are in the right direction.

3. As professionals, I hope we take respoonsibility for our work and respect tyhe timelines.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:18, 1 May 2011

JC, i have seen all the documents. Frankly however, i am a bit confused as to WHICH ONE should be our focus for comments right now. Am i being too naive? forgive me if i am.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:23, 1 May 2011

Victor - the missing sections from my latest version of the assignment is the submission by Hove( a few minutes b4 the meeting) and Luisa. The draft from Shumi has been included in my draft version. Therefore yu better focus on the latest email from me. I hope that helps. Thanks.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:26, 1 May 2011

Thanks boss. Clearer now.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:38, 1 May 2011
 
 

Can we have all submissions in except Part C by 1 pm tommorrow SA time? Is that reasonable or too relaxed? --Shumimlingo 16:50, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:50, 1 May 2011

Its ok for me but we need to agree on the format first. Part c should be done by 10am on Tuesday.What do you guys think.

Hove (talk)17:02, 1 May 2011

Hove - To be format is just a matter of presentation, which either way, will take as much space. Personally I prefer tables, to the point, and minimal narratives.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:07, 1 May 2011

JC How then do we handle what has already been done in narratives. Luisa is travelling and I doubt we'll get her to convert to tables. Calvin's part I believe has been done in narratives (I stand to be corrected). Will someone convert? --Shumimlingo 17:13, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)17:13, 1 May 2011

Shumi - Let me give it a go both ways and see what we come up with. I will need to summarise all these submissions into a 1 page per fundamental, include challenges, recommendatuions and justification.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:19, 1 May 2011
 
 

This is fine for me. It will give us the afternoon to proof read. --Shumimlingo 17:14, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)17:14, 1 May 2011
 

That sounds good.

JC, can you incorporate Hove's latest comments (and any that has just come in if any) right after here so that edits will be unified? I have seena few edits but will want to make them only once.

Victor.mensah (talk)17:07, 1 May 2011

Victor hasto be roped in for quality check. I thinkhe is the best.

Hove (talk)17:17, 1 May 2011
 
 
 

EPM Assignment Part b

1. This has been holding up much of the work. Calvin issued a neat table to be used to complete this section. I have adopted this table for the assignment - any comments from the team if we should use a tabular or just narrative format?

2. Calvin's sections were outstanding. I received a narrative from Hove a few minutes ago. Kuisa also provided a narrative for her section. All I need is to ensure that we adopt a consistent format.Any comments on these two submissions.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:13, 1 May 2011

If we dont have a page limitation, then a small narrative followed by a neat and easy to read table should do. In my view, tables, charts, and diagrams always work wonders for our assignments.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:22, 1 May 2011

My intention was to use the formart agreed at Study School. Unfortunately I have been getting documents in different format, and no-one has clarified to me what the group agreed, if any at all. I also would prefer tables than narrative format.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:29, 1 May 2011

Guys you can not put those twenty something points in a table. Those were the factors that we identified that affected PF. If you need to use graphs and/ or tables then you will need to use then on the EPM fundamentals positioning NC and the recommendations thereof

Hove (talk)16:34, 1 May 2011

Hove - pooint taken, but whichever way wego, we still need to streamline and keep the sections brief. We are addressing more than 20 PM fundemental, and we have to keep it up ro about 8 pages. We may need to carefully think about it both ways.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:44, 1 May 2011

No JC.We only have 10 fundamentals that is chapter 1 to 10. Those 20 or so factors are the challenges that were identified.

Hove (talk)16:49, 1 May 2011
 
 

JC, Originally that template was made as a summary to guide the Section 2 subgroups. I honestly haven't analysed how that section looks in tables. I can give an opinion later tonight. What do other members think so we can conclude the issue now. --Shumimlingo 16:36, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:36, 1 May 2011
 

What then is our decision guys.Its the 4 of us only and we need to make that call now.

Hove (talk)16:47, 1 May 2011
 

We have a limitation of 20 pages. Section 1 is about 7 pages and its worth 20%. Perhaps the tabular for may help. On the other hand, a concern is that Section 2 is worth 50%. Will we earn all 50% when in tables. Just some thoughts.... --Shumimlingo 16:30, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:30, 1 May 2011

Shumi - agreed to your points.However, not very clear if the team agreed to any approach at Stuidy school. Got the tabular formart from Calvin, and I thought that was what was agreed by the team at study School. My view would be to ensure that tables are complete, as in covering all key points. If not, then yes, we can add bits of narratives.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:33, 1 May 2011

That was a simple way of putting the guidelines. Its not that we agreed that we will use that format however if you guys feel we get there by utilising them then all is well.

Hove (talk)16:37, 1 May 2011
 

Should we wait for Calvin or what?Remember that the other sections need our attention because we have 48 hours or so to finish the assignment

Hove (talk)16:56, 1 May 2011

We can't wait for him. I'll call him tommorrow morning to get an update, but we can't wait. We keep moving

--Shumimlingo 17:00, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)17:00, 1 May 2011
 
 

Thanks for the clarification Shumi. JC definitly needs some guidance especially if a single format was agreed at study school. If not, then as leaders, they still have to call the shots on the format.

On the use of tables, i must agree that tables ALONE will NOT give us 50% but a concise narrative with a neat table will do the trick as proposed.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:34, 1 May 2011

A very small table will do.The on we have is 12 pages so it has taken more than half of the page limitations.

Hove (talk)16:41, 1 May 2011

I agree with Hove here especially considering that we already have over 25 pages long. But lots of elements too are missing in the table. This is a tricky one for the team. With tables, we are allowed to summarrize this table and use a longer one as annexe. We are also allowed to reduce font for tables if that will help

Victor.mensah (talk)16:57, 1 May 2011
 
 
 
 

JC can we expand your points into a narrative since the other contributions are in narratives? Should we have a page challenge then we can see how to summarise into tables: I know this is the long way round, but as this is the meat of the assignment, I'm not too sure what options there are? --Shumimlingo 17:09, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)17:09, 1 May 2011
 
Our take aways from today's meeting?
JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)17:09, 1 May 2011

MBLEPMY UPDATE & WAY FORWARD

Guys as you are aware we have had a couple of challenges with regards to our only group assignments. So far we have the bits and pieces of part two however part one has been consolidate. I would like to apologise to you guys if i have used harsh words in my endeavour to push people to hand in their contributions. Again my apology.

Hove (talk)16:13, 1 May 2011

Thanks Hove for the leadership. Which discussion in on now, this one or the one started by JC earlier?

Victor.mensah (talk)16:20, 1 May 2011
 

Hove, this process has been emotional for us all...and we've all said things we'd like to withdraw. We've been with each other for 2+ years and we know each others strengths and weaknesses. This is a learning process for us all. Let's learn and improve. --Shumimlingo 16:25, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:25, 1 May 2011

I agree with Shumi here, i dont really recall any particularly harsh words, but if there were, hey, we are in this together. Lets work through it and then we can have fun slushing each other later in a party mode - i will provide the implements with love <smile>.

But seriously, lets all move forwared.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:32, 1 May 2011
 
 

EPM Assignment Part a

Shumi has made his submission which has been included in the draft issued this afternoon - any comments?

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:10, 1 May 2011

Thanks JC for the documents. I am looking at your lates version sent a few minutes ago right now.

Victor.mensah (talk)16:13, 1 May 2011
 

Thanks JC

Shungu sent thru some small changes. I'll send you the final doc later this evening.

--Shumimlingo 16:16, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:16, 1 May 2011

Thanks Shumi.

JEREMIAH CHAPHXANYA (talk)16:21, 1 May 2011
 
 

Hope i find all of you well. Show your presence here.

Hove (talk)14:38, 1 May 2011

Hove, you are too early <lol>

How is everyone?

Victor.mensah (talk)15:57, 1 May 2011

hie guys l hope l find you all in good health. happy worker's day--Shungunyoni 16:03, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shungunyoni (talk)16:03, 1 May 2011

Shungu hope you are kicking. I know you are because i spoke to you today and there were no complaints

Hove (talk)16:07, 1 May 2011

stress mwana wamudhara. Finance l managed to get a tutor but will only start tomorrow and l do not know if it is going to work--Shungunyoni 16:14, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shungunyoni (talk)16:15, 1 May 2011
 
 

Ah welcome comrade Mensah. Stress my brother about our ability to finish the assignmnet in time and my other assignmnets.

Hove (talk)16:06, 1 May 2011
 

hey guys

good to hear from you at the beginning of this tough week! Apologies from Luisa. She's travelling --Shumimlingo 16:05, 1 May 2011 (UTC)

Shumimlingo (talk)16:05, 1 May 2011

Bravo Mr Mlingo

Hove (talk)16:08, 1 May 2011