Talk:CCNC/CCNC Module 4
The contents may avoid examples from Windows or microsoft S/ws. As much as possible we need to quote Ubuntu OS and Open Office on Linyx. As the target learners are going to be neo-literates of computers, more explanation and example will be required.--Pankaj 23:50, 28 June 2007 (CEST)
|Thread title||Replies||Last modified|
|Module 4 Review Comments||1||01:33, 1 April 2009|
Comments from: --Alison Snieckus 18:46, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
I have completed a "quick & dirty" review of the current CCNC Module 4 (Spreadsheets Using OpenOffice 3.0). Here are my thoughts:
- Language is generally clear and concise; recommend editing as needed to tighten and clarify.
- Reword outcomes and preknowledge in bulleted style
- Reword study tips for clarity
- Revise computer instructions to use more user-friendly style (e.g., Select Insert > Function). Does CCNC have a standard style for computer instructions?
- Use computer terminology consistently (e.g., command, tool...) Does CCNC have a standard on this?
- Replace SCREENSHOT placeholders with actual screenshots. Does CCNC have a standard style for screenshots?
- Add PrevNext arrow buttons in lower right corner of pages to facilitate navigation when at the bottom of the page.
- Implement Template:MyTitle to create simple section header -- all pages start with repeat of title. Wondering if this is needed.
- Add self-assessment questions for each section of content
- Most pages appear to be a combination of describing spreadsheet elements and functioning and what the original author termed “Now do it”. The “Now do it” instructions should be rewritten as general instructions for how to do it, not necessarily encouraging the user to do it right then.
- Add activities (using activity template) to follow instruction in each of the sections.
- Update topic pages to reflect new sections – Show ME and Summary & FAQs
- Resolve embedded notes.
- Include internal links for words and phrases that are described in earlier modules/topics/sections.
- When instruction tells user to select a toolbar or formula bar button, image of button should be included (e.g., "Accept" button in "Arithmetic formulas" is the checkmark button -- need the image to know what it is).
- Some of the tips are thought questions. It would probably be more useful to offer answers that could be revealed.
- Add reference to Tutorials for OpenOffice CALC
- Create content for “Show Me” sections in each topic – the navigator suggests this is a video clip, I'd need some help doing that.
- Create content for “Summary & FAQs” sections in each topic
Getting to Know the Application
- Saving spreadsheets begins with “So we have converted the template into a spreadsheet that contains actual data.” But the previous section indicates that creating a spreadsheet with actual data will occur later. This needs to be sorted out.
- Integrate saving on floppy disk and harddrive – same procedure, just different location
Working with and in cells
- The “Inserting...” section references the file “Demog.sxc”. The instructions that follow reference the data in the file. But with screenshots missing, may need to revise to use alternate file. Suggest providing a link so that user could download the file (and it would be accessible for future revisions).
- In “Entering data...” add instruction for entering sequential numbers, dates.... (that is, the concept autofill) and for copying data to adjacent cells.
- The “Shifting cells...” section assumes there is data in the cells – nothing happens if there's no data – but it's not clear what data would be there.
- The “Using the Search and Replace Command” section would be very similar to the relevant section in Write – seems like it's not needed in both places or spreadsheet instance could refer user to the relevant section in Write.
- A note from Sdark indicates that this topic was integrated into “Using the Application” My first impression is that integration earlier works. I suggest leaving this topic in place for awhile more, adding add a message that content moved to earlier section. We can delete the section later on.
Formulas and Functions
- All pages need Section navigator added, including addition of Show Me and Summary & FAQs sections.
- Consider entering example math formulas and functions using LaTex markup.
- Would it be helpful to link math terms used in this section to their entry in MsthGloss?
- "Arithmetic Formulas" section
- includes a "show me" video to go along with the written instruction (although written instruction doesn't match cell placement in video). Video needs to be placed more directly with instructions. Also wonder if these videos should be collected in "Show Me" section.
- improve formatting of included table.
- tip on order of operations could be replaced with a link to MathGloss
- In "Error values..." section
- improve table format.
- add tips for resolving calculation errors.
- A note in "Cell referencing" section indicates that contents adapted from a web resource. Need to confirm appropriate attribution.
- In "Working with functions" section
- need to introduce concept of arguments.
- include reference to epsilon button for the sum function.
- add content about other functions available, accessible with function wizard. Provide instruction in how to use function wizard, narrow searchlist with function category, and enter necessary arguments.
- suggest moving content about displaying functions to section that deals with how CALC classifies the cell contents and how to change the display of the contents.
- In "Using the logical function IF" section
- includes the term "autofill" -- I think that's the first use. I suggest including instruction on autofill in "Entering data..." section.
- need to tryout last section -- as note indicates.
- Add description of "merge cells" to "Miscellaneous formatting techniques" section
Creating charts and graphs
- In "About charts..." section
- remove distinction between chart and graph (it's too fuzzy in the real world), integrate common types to one listing.
- Replace the included definitions of different kinds of charts/graphs with a small picture and embedded link to MathGloss
- add scatterplot to list of common graphs
- In "Customizing chart type..." section
- Need to update to OO 3.0
- Don't have the data to go with the instructions.
- Instruction seems to only cover bar charts, suggest adding instruction for at least one other chart type.
- In "Making changes to an existing chart or graph"
- Suggest adding instructions to make scale changes.
- In "Moving duplicating...."
- Suggest adding discussion of connection btwn graph and data; use of paste special to unlink graph from data.
Preparing the Spreadsheet for Distribution
- in "Setting up the worksheet"
- I don't think fit to page adjusts column widths, rather it shrinks the whole sheet to fit on a page (no matter how much shrinkage is necessary)
- Add emphasis to use Print Preview to evaluate page settings.
- In "Making other adjustments to the worksheet"
- This appears to be about headers and footers -- if there's nothing else needed, maybe section title should reflect specific content.
- Impove table formatting
- In "Preparing to print"
- Improve table format
- Spreadsheets that are longer and taller than one page will print in a particular order. Suggest adding instruction on how spreadsheet will be broken up into pages.