The aim of this page is to discuss the idea of indicators of sustainable evolution and to design such indicators.
Global Indicator of Sustainable Evolution (GISE)
The aim of this global sustainability indicator is to indicate how we are doing in terms of evolutionary potential of life on Earth.
As a sustainability indicator this would need to be combination of:
- genetic potential - biodiversity indicators (perhaps rates of biodiversity loss/gain)
- rates of habitat loss/gain (rehabilitation of ecosystems is typically problematic)
- predicted climate change.
- For now we are excluding the possibility of artificial evolution in favour of the natural process which has served life well for millions of years.
Potentialy relevant concepts:
- Minimum viable populations
- Local sustainability - minimising the need to draw on resources elsewhere
- Genetic diversity ...
Questions and Answers
For now, if you are interested, add questions and answers below (and/or on the discussion tab of this page).
- What could this look like?
References, Links etc.
Links to related research etc.