Sales and Marketing/Resources/Lesson Plans/Lesson Plan 2
Diploma in Applied Travel and Tourism
Course Name: Sales & Marketing
Lecture Delivery Plan:
Marketing: It has two facets.
- A philosophy, an attitude, a perspective, or a management orientation that stresses customer satisfaction
- Marketing is an organizational function, a set of processes used to implement this philosophy
Strategic Planning - within a marketing philosophy
A Marketing Plan is based on a company's overall strategy - and can be created for individual products, brands, lines or customer groups - it is a guide book of marketing activities.
Handout: distribute (Marketing Plan) handout
Analysis of a Marketing Plan - using activity from first lesson (identified activities/attractions and operators/companies)
- Businesses Mission Statement
- Swot Analysis - to identify competitive advantage
Competitive advantage - a set of unique features of a company and its products that are perceived by the target market as significant and superior to those of the competition
- Objectives - objectives - set of statements of what is to be accomplished through marketing activities, they should be:
1. realistic - have a chance of being met eg. it may be unrealistic to start up new firms or products to command dominant market share, when there are other competitors in the marketplace. (another 4star hotel)
2. Measurable - need to be able to show quantitatively whether an objective has been meet - 45% of the domestic market would stay in this type of accommodation
3. Time specific - by what time should the objective be met? eg. to increase bed sales between April 30 and June 30
4. Compared to a benchmark - if thee objective is to increase bed sales by 15%, it is important to know the baseline against which it will be measured - current sales, last years?
- Target Market - a market segment which is a group of individuals or organizations who share on or more characteristics eg. Tourists who are in 20-30 age range and earn between $50 - 60,000.
Blast - casestudy
Handout - Save a Mainlander Campaign
Using the activity from last week - in pairs:
- identify two organisations with similar products
- using the marketing plan handout - compare the two eg. SWOT, objectives, target markets,
Look for uniqueness rather than similarity - how would you market them?