AIM: To know the awareness of villagers about general health and hygiene.
SOURCE: The source of the information about the health and hygiene of the villagers were
the general mass of the village itself.
TOOLS: As a tool of the survey we selected the interview and discussion with the villagers.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE VILLAGE:
VILLAGE: SUNPURA AND MADHAVPURA
DISTRICT: VIDISHA (M.P.)
POPULATION: 600-700 PEOPLE
VOTING POPULATION: 200 PEOPLE
SARPANCH: SURAJ BAI KUSHAWAHA
ELECTRICITY: 6 HOURS IN A DAY
WATER SUPPLY: 2-3 HOURS IN THE MORNING
ROAD: UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
This village is situated near Udaygiri hills.
As the topic of survey was the awareness of people about the general health and hygiene therefore we prepared a general questionnaire in order to get the information about their awareness about the same.
The questionnaire included the following questions:
- Name of the person.
- Number of members in the family.
- General age group of the members of the family.
- Any genetic disorder in the family.
- Existing health related problem in the family.
- Do they get the benefits for general health e.g. vaccines, from the government.
- Their general awareness about the common diseases like: POLIO, MEASELS, AIDS, MALARIA, TYPHOID etc.
- The sources of water, its treatment, and storage.
- Precautions taken while preparing food.
- Do they have toilets and bathrooms in their homes?
- Drainage and sanitation in their homes.
- How do they keep their houses and surroundings?
- What do they do for preventing the diseases like: malaria, typhoid, and measles?
- From where do they get the medical facilities i.e., is there any health center in the village.
Outcomes of the survey:
While interacting with the villagers regarding their awareness about health and hygiene we came to certain things:
- The village was kept neat and clean by the villagers
- Villagers were aware about the common health related problems and its remedy.
- They already knew about the common vaccines like polio vaccine etc.
- To prevent the diseases Like malaria they used to prefer their own methods like fumes of cow dung cakes, and use of nets
- For the maintenance of hygiene the villagers used to filter, cover and boil the drinking water.
- The villagers were very much aware about the general health and hygiene but at the same time they were lacking some awareness regarding the important mal effects of unhygienic condition. There were also some superstitions regarding the use of vaccines.
- Girl education was neglected.
- Family planning was not followed.
- Prominent cast system was there
- Over use of alcohol and bidi by the male members in almost all families. Although the villagers were aware about the bad effects of smoking and drinking alcohol even though they were very much indulged in these habits.
- Toilets and proper drainage system was not present in most of the homes and it created a very unhygienic condition.
- They had a myth among themselves that the vaccines produce weakness in the small children and thus they avoided it
- There were no hospitals nearby in the village and they had to go to vidisha for minor problems.
- For minor ailments the villagers used to go to a person in the village which was himself not a medical professional.
|| NAME OF HEAD OF FAMILY
|| TOTAL NO. OF ADULTS
|| TOTAL NO. OF CHILDREN
|| NAME OF THE DISEASE (IF ANY)
|| TOTAL INCOME (MONTHLY)
|| HARl SINGH
|| NIMA BAI
|| DEVI SINGH
|| TULSI RAM
|| T. B.
After the survey of the village- SUNPURA we came to the conclusion that the villagers’ in spite of being aware of the general health and hygiene were suffering from many diseases like T.B. There were many superstitions and myths among the peoples for the use of vaccines. They were not having the facility of hospitals nearby the village and they had to go to the vidisha city.