Quality Assurance/Nutritional Chemistry
- This course entails the study of nutritional chemical composition of foods and their assimilation into the human body.
Definition of new Terminologies
- Nutritional chemistry
- Bio availability
- Bio accessibility
What is nutritional chemistry?
This is the science of components of food that are of benefit to the human body.
What is nutritional biochemistry?
This is the science of how foods are assimilated into the human body system and its interactions.
components of foods
- Carbohydrates - composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.
- Proteins - Composed of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.
- Lipids - Composed of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen. Are not soluble in water.
- Minerals- Macro-minerals -These includes the minerals that are required >1.0 gram per day in the body.Micro-minerals-These includes the minerals that are required <1.0 gram per day in the body.
- Moisture - Its the water.
- Vitamins - Water-soluble vitamins- These are B complex vitamins and C.Fat-soluble vitamins -These are ADE and K.
Functional properties of foods are dependent on their chemical composition.
Quality management systems audits
- importance of audits
- proof of adherence to stds
- proof of good practices
- point out opportunities for improvement
- point out possible down falls
- point out illegal activities
- point out unethical practices
- who should carry out an audit
- organized persons
- how often to audit
This depends on:
- importance of the activities
- previous audits results
- number of available auditors