Directed Learning hours: 25
Self Directed Learning hours: 25
Total Learning Hours: 50
This course aims to provide students with an introduction to aromatherapy so that essential oils may be used effectively in a massage practice.
At the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of aromatherapy
- Demonstrate knowledge of an introductory range of essential oils and carrier oils for aromatherapy
- Blend essential oils and carrier oils to create a synergistic blend
- Use essential oils and carrier oils for topical application and inhalation.
- Principles of aromatherapy
- Carrier oils and essential oils
- Blending essential oils
- Aromatherapy and medical conditions.
Students are expected to attend 90% of practical classes. If in the opinion of the programme manager students have a valid reason for non-attendance, their total attendance may be permitted to drop to a minimum of 80%. Non-participation in these classes is treated as non-attendance. Students will be expected to engage with online discussions and activities and in some instances, participation may be required.
Students must achieve competency in all assessment tasks for completion of this course. Students attendance and participation must also comply with the attendance requirements of the course.
Student Reading List
Required Reading Resources:
- The course coordinator may require specified resources.
Recommended Reading Resources:
- Martin, I. (2007). Aromatherapy for massage practitioners. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.