OER Foundation News Archive
February 2011Towards an OER university: Free learning for all students worldwide. The OER Foundation is to host a strategic international meeting in Dunedin on 23 February to commence planning for the provision of free learning to all students worldwide. Support from UNESCO to stream the meeting will allow the participation of education leaders from around the globe. Read more ...
- WikiEducator, funded by the OER Foundation leads a global education collaboration. Otago Daily Times publishes an interview with Wayne Mackintosh, founder of WikiEducator and member of the OER Foundation's board of Directors. -- To paraphrase Mahatma Gandhi - "WE can be the change you wish to see in the world".
- Open Philanthropy is the way to go! - The Board of Directors approve the strategy and 3-year operational plan of the OER Foundation.
- Connexions - WikiEducator project launched, which aims to take OER remix to new levels.
- WikiEducator achieves 11,988 registered users
- Jim Tittsler, joins the OER Foundation as Lead Software Engineer. Jim is a well-known member of the WikiEducator family, and has over 30 years experience in computer hardware and software design. The calibre of Jim's knowledge and experience will be invaluable for leading and supporting our technical innovations for the future.
- WikiEducator achieves 11,596 registered users
- The OER Foundation poised to become an international leader in open education. The Open Education Resource (OER) Foundation was officially launched on 17 September 2009 by Dr Robin Day, Chair of the board of Directors to coincide with Software Freedom Day. Read more ...
- WikiEducator achieves 11,245 registered users
- The OER Foundation establishes the reusable and portable content project (OERNZ), aimed at building a national OER commons for New Zealand schools.
- The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, award the OER Foundation USD200,000 to support WikiEducator to improve OER content interoperability and further support for training through the Learning4Content project.
- WikiEducator achieves 10,768 registered users
- OER Foundation commences strategic planning to foster the development of a sustainable OER ecosystem. Subscribing to open philanthropy, all planning documents are developed transparently in the wiki with an open invitation for community participation and engagement.
- WikiEducator achieves 10,342 registered users
- Wayne Mackintosh joins the Otago Polytechnic as founding Director of the International Centre for Open Education on 1 May 2009.
- Community communique announcing the International Centre for Open Education and the OER Foundation's commitment to open and transparent planning, 10 May 2009.
- WikiEducator achieves 9,591 registered users
- OER Foundation Limited
- WikiEducator achieves 9,092 registered users
- Coinciding with the 10th anniversary celebrations of "Open Content", Wayne Mackintosh, the founder of WikiEducator announced that this international OER project will be headquartered at the new International Centre for Open Education, at Otago Polytechnic in Dunedin as of May 1, 2009 during the opening keynote of the Open Education Conference, Logan, Utah, 24 September 2008.
- WikiEducator achieves 5,953 registered users