Date of Birth : 27th August 1971
Father’s Name : Late Shri K.L. Toteja
Marital Status : Married
Sex : Male
Nationality : Indian
||1987||Science, Maths, English, Hindi, S. Science||Ist, 65.2|
||1989||Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology, English|| Ist, 79.0
||1992|| Mains: Zoology
Subsi: Botany, Chemistry
||1994||Cell Biology||Ist, 63.3|
||1995||Tumor Immunology||Ist, 72.0|
||2001||“In vitro selection of sulfadoxine resistance and characterization of dhfr (dihydrofolate reductase) gene from Plasmodium falciparum lines”.|
.Phil. Dissertation, Supervisor: Professor Sukh Mahendera Singh
“In vitro and in vivo modulation of immune response and hematopoesis by tumor cells”.
Tumor means unregulated growth of cells and is accompanied by immune suppression. It was observed in spontaneous tumor of Thymus, Dalton’s Lympoma (DL) that with the growth of tumor there is an impairment of both humoral and cell mediated immune response as measured by plaque assay and delayed type of sensitivity.
Ph.D. Thesis, Supervisor: Professor V.K. Bhasin
“In vitro selection of sulfadoxine resistance and characterization of dhfr (dihydrofolate reductase) gene from Plasmodium falciparum lines”.
The emergence of drug resistance in malarial parasite is a serious problem world wide. Antimalarial resistance in Plasmodium falciparum is a major cause of concern. Knowing the molecular mechanisms of drug resistance would greatly help in reducing the morbidity and mortality due the disease. Pyrimethamine and Sulfadoxine exhibit their antimalarial virtues by preferentially inhibiting the DHFR (Dihydrofolate reductase) and DHPS (Dihydropteroate synthase) enzymes, respectively, of the parasite. Resistance to pyrimethamine has been attributed to the point mutations in the specific gene of the parasite leading to an altered production of the enzyme. This study is an attempt to examine closely some molecular changes in P. falciparum associated with drug resistance to these antimalarials.
Nominated in the panel of CEC, Consortium for Educational Communication, UGC accredited organization for sanctioning of e-projects on Biotechnology and Microbiology and evaluated two projects on the above subjects.
- Qualified joint CSIR-UGC Examination (NET) in 1994.
- Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test Examination (GATE) in 1994, conducted by Indian Institute of Technology.
- Junior Research Fellow (1994-1995) in Tumor Immunology Lab., Department of Zoology, University of Delhi.
- Junior Research Fellow (1995-1997) in Molecular Parasitology Lab., Department of Zoology, University of Delhi.
- Senior Research Fellow (1997-2000) in Molecular Parasitology Lab., Department of Zoology, University of Delhi.
- Ravi Toteja, Lathika Nair, VK Bhasin (2001) Genome comparison of progressively drug resistant Plasmodium falciparum lines derived from drug sensitive clone. Memoris do Instiuto Oswaldo Cruz, 96(3): 427-433.
- Authored two chapters for National Science Digital Library created by CSIR organization, National Institute of Science and Communication and Information Resources. These two chapters are:
- Introduction to Cell.
- Cell cycle and its regulation.
- Authored five chapters in the Biology Laboratory Course Workshop (B.Sc. Programme LS part II), organized by Institute of life long learning and Centre for promotion of undergraduate research, Acharya Narendra Dev College
- To perform agarose gel electrophoresis of DNA samples.
- To perform digestion of lambda DNA by EcoRI and HindIII restriction endonucleases.
- To construct circular restriction map of plasmid from the data provided.
- To study applications of Recombinant DNA Technology through photographs.
- To perform Southern Blotting.
- Attended an International conference on Global Meet on Parasitic Diseases organized by Indian society of Parasitology in New Delhi in 1996 and presented a poster entitled “Detection of drug resistance in P. falciparum by Polymerase chain reaction”.
- Attended an International conference on Global Meet on Parasitic Diseases organized by Indian society of Parasitology in Hyderabad in 1997 and presented a Paper entitled “Allele specific PCR for diagnosis of drug resistance in P. falciparum: Optimization of PCR cycle”.
Refresher/ Orientation Courses Attended
- Attended four weeks Refresher Course organized by CPDHE (Centre for Professional Development in Higher Education) on “Recent Trends in Physiology” in 2002.
- Attended four weeks Orientation Course organized by UGC-Academic staff College, Jamia Millia Islamia University in 2005.
Conferences / Workshops/Symposium Attended/Organized
- Worked as a Recourse person in Refresher course in Life Science on “Recent Advances in Molecular Biology” organized by CPDHE, University of Delhi.
- Attended National symposium on “Biotechnology: Expanding Horizons” organized by Acharya Narendra Dev College and held at INSA auditorium.
- Attended the science fest “Celebrating Science” organized by SGTB Khalsa College and Heart Care foundation of India and DST.
- Participated in the symposium “Art and Science of Silk” organized by Acharya Narendra Dev College in 2002.
- As a member of Sashakat, a society for empowerment of female students of Acharya Narendra Dev College, organized a talk show on “How empowered is Indian Women” in 2003.
- As a member of Sashakat, a society for empowerment of female students of Acharya Narendra Dev College, organized a Self Defense programme for female students in 2003.
- Participated in the 5th “Annual Symposium on Frontiers in Biomedical Research” held at Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Centre for Biomedical Research, University of Delhi.
- Attended the national symposium “Biohorizons 2004” organized by Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- Attended National Seminar on “Recent Trends in Chemistry” held at Maitrey College University of Delhi.
- Attended two days workshop on “Ecology” held at Sri Vekateswera College University of Delhi in 2005.
- Organized a seminar on “Recombinant DNA Technology” by Prof Rup Lal in 2002.
- Organized a seminar on “Basic Concepts and Techniques in Immunology” by Dr. Anju Shrivastava.
- Actively involved as a member of the organizing committee which organized a National Symposium “Biotechnology: Expanding Horizons” 2003.
- Actively participated in 3 days workshop on "Basic Techniques in Immunology" conducted by Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, August 27-29, 2005.
- Participated in 3 days workshop on "Genetics Genomics and Biotechnology" conducted by Department of Zoology, University of Delhi, August 10-12, 2006.
- Attended 30th All India Cell Biology Conference and Symposia on "Molecules to Compartments: Cross Talks and Networks" February 2-4, 2007, held at the Department of Zoology, University of Delhi.
- Participated in the International symposium on Ciliate Biology 'Biodiveristy, ultrastructure, development, genome and parasitism' organised by SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi from February 6-7 2007.
- Attended 2 days National Symposium on "New Frontiers in Cell Biology", 29-30 November, 2007, organized by Department of Biochemistry, Deshbandhu College, University of Delhi.
- As convenor of "Niche", Zoological society of the college, published "Probe", the third edition of the society magazine and organized a Zoological Fest 'Oikos' in which various Intercollegiate competitions like Science Quiz, Rangoli, Poster making etc. were held in 2006-07. The society also organized a lecture on 'Role of ciliate in waste water management' by Prof Allen Warren, from the London Museum of Natural History, on 18 December 2006 for undergraduate students.
- Organized an Educational tour to Simla and Kulu & Manali, Himachal Pradesh for B.Sc. (Hons.) Zoology students in 2007 for collection of various species of insects.
- Organized Educational tours to Zoological Park, Biodiversity Park and Centre for Advanced Studies in Zoology, University of Delhi for B.Sc. (Hons.) Zoology, B.Sc. Foundation, B.Sc. Life Sciences and Applied Life sciences students in 2006-08 to study Ex-situ conservation of animals, diversified flora and fauna, tissue culture techniques and methods of animal breeding.
- Organized a lecture on "Silk Mark" by Central Silk Board, New Delhi for the benefit of students of Applied life Sciences in 2008 educating them of the importance of "Silk Mark" in assuring the quality of silk fabrics and products.
- Coordinator of a ten day workshop "Understanding complexities of life from molecules to system: Concepts and tools" for undergraduate students of Biology in the college from 12th to 23rd May, 2008.
- Worked as a Resource person in a ten day workshop "Understanding complexities of life from molecules to system: Concepts and tools" for undergraduate students of Biology in the college from 12th to 23rd May, 2008.
- Acted as Deputy Superintendent in the college for B category examinations of University of Delhi in 2006.
- Coordinator of four days Biology Laboratory Course Workshop, B.Sc. Programme LSIII, organized by Institute of Life long Learning, University of Delhi and Acharya Narendra Dev College from 21-24 October, 2008.
- Worked as a Resource person in four days Biology Laboratory Course Workshop, B.Sc. Programme LSIII, organized by Institute of Life long Learning, University of Delhi and Acharya Narendra Dev College from 21-24 October, 2008.
- Attended all the meetings of course revision for B.Sc. Zoology (Hons.) and B.Sc. (Gen.) group B held at Department of Zoology, University of Delhi.
- Member of committee involved in restructuring the course contents of Biochemistry and Immunology paper to be taught in IInd year (Hons).
- Member of committee involved in restructuring the course contents of Chordata paper to be taught in IInd year (Gen).
- Member of the committee for restructuring of Foundation and Life sciences Curriculum in University of Delhi. As a member of the committee, actively participated in various discussions and provided useful suggestions many of which were incorporated in reframing of the curriculum.
- Member of the committee for restructuring of Applied Life sciences (sericulture) curriculum. As a member of the committee, actively participated in various discussions and reframing of the syllabi. As a member of the committee, actively participated in various discussions and provided useful suggestions many of which were incorporated in reframing of the curriculum.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Life member of Indian Society of Parasitology.
Membership of College Committees
- Member of Garden Committee of the college (2002-2004).
- Member of the Departmental committee for museums Maintenance (2002-2004)
- In the editorial Board of Departmental Magzine PROBE.
- Member of the Departmental committee for purchase of recurring and non recurring items (2005-2005).
- Member of Sashakt, a committee for female students. (2002-2004).
- Convenor Zoological Society (2000-2003).
- Member of Time table and work load committee.
- Member of Library committee.
- Convenor of Debating Society.
- Member of Purchase committee.
- Member of the Departmental committee for internal assessment.
(2008- Till Date)
- Member of Fellowship committee.
- Member of Alumni committee.