MOSEP foundation module/session 2
|More self-esteem with my e-portfolio: Foundation Module|
Discovering the power of e-portfolio
Potential benefits of using Modern Media to support the learning of young people
Introduction to Modern media
Media may refer to various aspects, but here were are interested in it in terms of it being a communication tool, such as:
- Recording media: Devices used to store information
- Print media: Communications delivered via paper or canvas
- Electronic media: Communications delivered via electronic or electromechanical energy
- Multimedia, communications that incorporate multiple forms of information content and processing
- Hypermedia, media with hyperlinks
- Digital media, electronic media used to store, transmit and receive digitized information
- New media: Media that can only be created or used with the aid of modern computer processing power
Examples of modern media
- Personal Blogs: free expression of opinion, presentation of ideas, stimulus for update of personal blog;
- Online discussion forum: useful for exchange of opinions, discussions on interesting topics; info about the free, easy to create online using ( PHPBB )
- Social networks: virtual community
Advantages of modern media usage in work with young people
Modern media is useful and reliable means of providing the necessary support and assistance to young people who need to obtain information in the easiest, complete and efficient way. Some of its advantages:
- Gives new impetus to the work- new tools, new possibilities: It is indisputable that modern media presents a wide range of new tools and opens variable possibilities with respect to the quality and quantity of work carried out. It does not refer only to communicative/mobile media (Mobile phones, Pocket PC, wireless devices), but also to the usage of multimedia storage utilities, as well as interactive media.
- To enlarge the target audience: The Internet enables the participation of learners from outside - other schools, classes, countries and so on.
- To make the storage and retrieving more efficient and thus to facilitate the learning process: Among the advantages of modern media means is their very substantial role in the process of facilitating the communication. Also, they increase the efficiency of storage and retrieving of information – quality that cannot be underestimated.
- To open new dimensions, to connect the realities: Modern media provides for a better interconnection and dimensions of the communication. It provides for a favorable environment where disadvantaged manage to overcome the obstacles that distinguish them from the others.
Possible benefits of using ePortfolios
The benefits from using ePortfolio are:
- Supporting coherent management of a variety of achievements and pieces of work.
- Helping learners take control of their learning and their lives, by reflecting on their activities and planning future directions;
- Providing a learner-centred rather than course-centred view of learning;
- Giving appropriate views of achievement and learners’ work to appropriate people, for example, the learner, teachers, mentors, careers advisers, potential employers, educational institutions to whom the learner is applying;
- Supporting “just in time” learning – which type of learning is needed at this moment in time;
At the same time, it is very important that students are motivated to use ePortfolio. Motivation for use often requires a strong element of ‘what is in it for me?”
- Identifying added-value in use of the e-portfolio will increase the likelihood of student engagement.
- You should use an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior to create a reaming environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
Support of young learners with difficulties
Learners with difficulties:
What we understand by Young learners with difficulties:
- The learner may be unskilled and inexperienced in showing empathy, developing rapport, and relating to people as patients
- The learner may learn comparatively slowly
- The learner may have adequate knowledge but be technically relatively unskilled
- The learner may be insecure – demonstrating too much overconfidence, disorganization, dependence;
- Less commonly, the learner may be impaired by mental illness
How learners with difficulties profit from use of ePortfolio:
ePortfolio is a means of providing disadvantaged youth with the information needed in order to overcome and cope with the obstacles and difficulties they constantly confront.
By using ePortfolio they can:
- For impaired/ disabled learners: By means of ePortfolio they will have equal representation in the virtual society/space;
- For those learning comparatively slowly: They will have much more time (due to the flexible time frame – he/she could work from home, at every time) to implement their ePortfolio in comparison with the other learners
- Being acquainted with the Overview and Introduction Session of the Foundation Module
- Experience with working with young learners, including such experiencing difficulties;
- For some tasks: students required to have already ePortfolio
- Session 3
- Session 4