Unit 5: Goal Setting and Time Management
Introduction and Rationale
This unit will address the importance of goal setting and time management for living a well-balanced and productive life.It will also categorise goals that are long and short term and outline the steps for achieving them.The acronym SMART will be used to assess them and provide the guidelines for ensuring that the goals that are set are worthwhile and can be achieved.
After completing this section, you should be able to:
- Utilize the basic elements of goal setting to define personal, career, financial and other goals;
- Identify long and short-term goals that are Specfic, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-bound (SMART);
- Outline the steps and benchmarks required for achievement of major goals;
- Develop action plans with timelines to accomplish goals;
- Identify and use techniques and tools for effective and efficient time management;
- action plan
Think about the last time you had a lot of things to get done in one day.
- How many of those things did you actually get done?
- How many of those things did you schedule for the next day?
Much time is wasted when goals are not considered or prioritised. People need to manage time well so that personal goals can be met and positive habits developed. In this way, when personal goals are aligned with personal and national values and are being achieved,your country will be better able to meet national goals.