Brockett and Hiemstra (1991) view the term self directed learning as an instructional process centering on such activities as assessing needs, securing learning resources, implementing learning activities, and evaluating learning. Hiemstra and Sisco (1990) refer to this as individualizing instruction, a process focusing on characteristics of the teaching learning transaction. In essence, this aspect of self direction centers on those factors external to the individual. In terms of learning in a self-directed environment in this case, it is the ability or willingness of individuals to take control that determines any potential for self direction. This means that learners have choices about the directions they pursue. Along with this goes responsibility for accepting any consequences of one’s thoughts and actions as a learner.
After completing your work here, return to the Training page.
The 'educare?' cycle for skills learning. *) This is a learning cycle, teaching methods may be differ for some skills. Some student may even learn skills on their own.
- E Explanation, background information, safety rules.
- D Doing details, show how and copy, in details and all of the skill. Practising sometimes in a 'sandbox'
- U Use, practise the skill. in sandbox and in real life.
- C Check, correct, the performance by the student and the teacher.
- A Aide mémoire, the student needs some notes, paper, example,
- R Review and reuse, the skills has to be trained and trained.
- E Evaluation, tests under realistic conditions.
- ? Queries, learners need opportunity to ask questions.
- ) Teaching Today, Geoff Petty, isbn 978 0 7487 8525 4
Look at soft skills