Journalism/Correspondence Jim Stovall December2009
- jprof approaching it's fifth birthday; teaching journalism for 30 years; written several books, adopted in numerous places....
- looking forward to the time, when there might be a new edition of the book, I've written, and created the site, as a "giant feeling cabinet", to help me keep up with the field in its entirety.
- that was the original, basic idea of the stuff..
- maybe the stuff I created would be useful for people, who are teaching journalism
- this would be a good site to house the syllabuses for the courses I teach
- it has drawn an international audience (mideast, eastern europe and asia)
- that's where I am with the website...
- I am involved in a different projects, where JPROF is the starting point for a number of projects that I am doing...
- I've got a lot of content that I've got on there; I can develop new stuff and particularly as the web has developed as a medium, it gets more and more interesting...
- it can be used
- re: Open Ed: http://openedconference.org/archives/586
- I see a lot of potential here, this is good for our American students here, for our students to be involved in something like this; I could easily see some class projects here..
- your retirement
- one of these days I'll retire, I don't know if I will want to stop doing what I'm doing;
- your interests
- one possibility might be to develop a journalism course based on Learning4Content
- one of the big things I'm involved with (when I came to Univ. of Tennessee in 2006), I helped start a student journalism website.
- became very popular, and a teaching tool, central to our curriculum
- it could happen on other campuses - take our CMS, and generatize it, and give it away...
- if there were campus news websites, why not try to form communities, or association, show content; few friends - we started Inter-Collegiate Online News Network (now into 2nd year), couple of dozen campus
- we'll be successful in attracting money
- outlet, partnership - or mutual benefit?
- community / web journalism
- I would certainly be willing to contribute whatever I could to an effort like that; I would be willing to be supportive in that regard;
- one of the things that attracts me, is an international focus and worldwide reach - that's very attractive and very useful
- I'm very interested in the international focus and international reach - we could probably come up with a good partnership, that could be of interest to both of us.
- community journalism
- Introductory course to Journalism, Writing, or Reporting (as our Intercollegiate Organization would develop; an international partnership would be interesting to us)
in response to
December 2009 letter.
I found your excellent journalism site - and was wondering about your interests in web journalism. I am on the governing council of WikiEducator (think Wikipedia for education), and we are exploring possibilities for web journalism in our community. (I was trained as a print journalist). www.wikieducator.org is a growing international community of 11,000+ educators in 110+ countries - and we'd like to include a journalism component. We are dedicated to developing a free and open version of the world's education curriculum by 2015, in line with the UN's Millennium Development Goals.
Would you be interested in chatting?
- See also: Journalism node