Dr. Herbert A.L. TALWANA
Department of Crop Science Faculty of Agriculture Makerere University Kampala P. O. Box 7062, Kampala, UGANDA Tel: +256 – 41 533580/ +256 –772 – 521685 Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org
Educational background and Work experience
- My main professional training is in Agricultural Sciences, particularly Crop sciences in which I hold a B.Sc (Agriculture) and M.Sc (Crop Science) from Makerere University, UGANDA and a PhD (Agricultural Sciences) from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, BELGIUM.
- I am a Lecturer in the Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Makerere University since 2001 where my responsibilities are research (30%), administration (10%) and teaching (60%). I teach Entomology, Nematology and Pest Management to Undergraduate and Graduate students of the Faculty of Agriculture. I also contribute to other courses in the Department of Crop Science. I have also worked as:
- Private Biological efficacy evaluator of Agrochemicals – Department of Crop Protection, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries(2006 – )
- Organic Production Systems Specialist – USAID/Agricultural Productivity Enhancement Program (USAID- APEP) (2007 – 2008 )
- Lead Consultant – 2005 - 2008: Research component of African Highland Initiative/IDRC - Acacia II Project: Improved access to information for development – Conceptualization and Development of an information sharing and communication strategy for Kabale District
- External Examiner – Department of Agronomy Faculty of Agriculture and Environment, Gulu University (2005 – July 2007)
- Agricultural Management Specialist – 2002 – 2004: Kabarole, Kamwenge and Kyenjojo District Development Support Programmes (Funded by International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Belgian Survival Fund (BSF), Irish Aid and Government of Uganda
- Senior Agricultural Inspector, Phytosanitary Inspection Services, Department of Crop Protection, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (2000 (April) – 2002 (July))
- Graduate Research Fellow – International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Centre, Namulonge, Uganda (1996 – 2000)
- My research interest is broadly in the area of crop protection, spanning the fields of Nematology, Entomology and Plant Pathology, comprising systematics, ecology, biodiversity and evolution, and the development of control strategies.
- My current research interests are: Biodiversity of nematodes and their role in ecosystem function, and nematode diagnostics; Insect pathology and the use of entomopathogenic nematodes as biological control agents; development of sustainable nematode management strategies; nematodes – fertiliser/water use efficiency.
- My other professional interest is furthering Personal Mastery and Soft Skills to enhance my teaching, research and consultancy.
Current research projects
- Developing physical management strategies for storage pests of dried cassava chips 2004 - 2006
- Developing sustainable management of root-knot nematodes on horticultural crops in East Africa 2005 -
- Prospects and constraints to sustainable cocoyam (Colocasia esculentum) production in Lake Victoria crescent 2005 -
- Potential of organic amendments in the management of nematodes on bananas 2004 -
- Diversity of Entomopathogenic nematodes and their potential for the control of insect pests in Uganda 2006 -