Global Women’s Leadership Network (GWLN)
- Global Women's Leadership Network - an international network of women leaders working on issues of human rights, gender equality, sustainable development and global integrity
The Global Women’s Leadership Network (GWLN) is unique in the arena of women’s leadership development. The Network is focused not only on providing programs to develop international leaders but also on fostering the connections that will enable their success. Recent programs have included participants from Pakistan, Nepal, India, Uganda, Egypt, Kenya, Rwanda, and the United States.
...about GWLN Linda: Entrepreneur sees higher calling in aiding women who want to make a difference
Areas of importance and interest include
- promoting global collaboration by communities of practice through technology
- supporting women's leadership initiatives
- economic participation
- economic opportunity
- political empowerment
- educational attainment - open education resources, literacy training, research and best practices
- world health and well-being
- 1 Programs
- 2 GWLN communication strategy
- 3 GWLN Leadership development programs
- 4 Education of Women and Girls
- 5 Women's Entrepreneurship and Development
- 6 Women's Health
- 7 Homeless and Orphaned Youth
- 8 Organizational Change
- 9 Social Entrepreneurs
- 10 Volunteers and Volunteering
- 11 Technologies and support
- 12 General resources
The Women Leaders for the World program is a residential leadership development program that sparks innovation, fosters global citizenship, and expands the capacity and network of women leaders WLW 2008 participants
Groups of up to 120 women come together for facilitated conversations about innovative ideas around a particular theme. Speakers have included Nancy Hafkin on Closing the Information Technology Gender Gap, Marian Stetson-Rodriguez on Building Trust in Global Teams and Anne Firth Murray with Positive Change. Santa Clara University alumni, faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to attend along with the Silicon Valley business community.
Small groups of women in dialogue forge meaningful connections. These forums are held monthly in the San Francisco Bay Area. The model is available for international distribution.
There will be an international student fellowship program during the summer of 2008 for SCU undergraduate students. Our WLW connections in 20 countries will provide meaningful 4-6 week globally-oriented work experiences for SCU students, particularly those from the Leavey School of Business. These experiences will be connected to a special SCU course centered on global leadership principles. There will be a day of reflection and sharing of student experiences during fall quarter.
This conference is designed to bring astute business minds and socially conscious leaders from Silicon Valley. Together we will meet with these global leaders and provide strategic direction to their grass roots projects. webcast
GWLN communication strategy
Global Women’s Leadership Network (GWLN) - community network technologies - news and information, about (purpose, membership, projects, initiatives), committees, special interest groups, synchronous meetings with audio and whiteboard, meeting archives, presentations (slides, slides with audio), chat and chat logs, document sharing, collaboration (public and private), discussion and comment, opinion, resources, history, education and training, mentoring and support, volunteering, financial support, fundraising, friend-raising, press and PR, promotional materials, 3D virtual world presence, mailing lists, newsletters, FAQs
- web site http://www.scu.edu/business/gwln - static information - information can be static content and links within blog - Wordpress has "pages" as well as blog "posts"
- blog blogger - long name - RSS feed automatic update notification - others GWLN blogs set up by other members wordpress, blogger - auction
- wiki http://www.wikieducator.org/GWLN - resources, education and training, public collaboration - wikispaces
- group site - grou.ps - all-in-one blog/email, discussions, membership, calendar, links, documents/wiki
- social networks - facebook, myspace
- email groups / lists - email newsletters, discussions - Constant Contact, survey, questionnaire add-on available
Needs and user types
- Leader's Group
- Advisory Board and Governance Board
- WLW Grads
- Global Connectors (Mentors for WLW Grads)
- GWLN network members
- Global Communities of Commitment
- GWLN - wordpress admin? - Wordpress - blog, pages, multiple authors (WLW participants, admin, pr...) 35 users free (unlimited $30/year) , mapping an existing domain name is $10/year, private posts, comments, choices of lots of themes - free, probably adequate (completely customizable look $15/year)
easy publishing by many authorized contributors, official news, updates, pages of static information, WLW participant "journals", comments, general interest postings, links to others - blogs, sites, dynamic
pictures, sound, video
ePortfolios for WLW grads, others
- GWLN at WikiEducator - WikiEducator - wiki for courses, educational materials, collaborative writing and editing
- emails - yahoo / google groups / email lists
- files, documents - online, links directory/index, tags for retrieval
Technologies for consideration
technologies available to help facilitate, coordinate and promote the work of these groups in their areas of interest, collaboration, develop online communities
- portal - hub / connecting point for all activities, resources, community information, special interest groups, partners, related organizations - some static information, lots of links, news highlights, about, contact, for more information - MediaWiki, Wikipedia, WikiEducator) .. sample portal, community portal
- resource site - either general or specialized for such uses as helping to get crafts to market - built collaboratively - WikiEducator GWLN area
- all inclusive group service - home, forum, blogs, calendar, solution exchange forum email chat
- document / content management - drupal
- news and updates - GWLN blog - Blogger, Wordpress - with RSS feeds suitable for aggregation with Google Reader, Feedburner - comments on posts
- email news, discussions - Yahoo groups, Google groups
- Q and A, FAQs
- media - images, audio, video
- mentoring - matching, tracking interactions ?? Kim
- special interest groups - discussion forums
- facilitated online / hybrid / blended courses / training - Moodle
- volunteering - coordination, what-to, how-to using volunteers - Volunteer Match, UN Online Volunteering
- social networking - Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, social bookmarking - delicious, Digg, blog rating and aggregating - Technorati, Wikio blog ranking, new improved tools are being introduced iLeonardo, [itsia], RSS feed readers - Netvibes, Bloglines, Google Reader
Carolyn Feuille http://www.espritgloballearning.com
The Vanilla.COMpany - Your Source for Gourmet Vanilla Products http://www.vanilla.com/
Citaras - Unique Turkish Arts & Textiles http://www.citaras.com
GWLN Leadership development programs
- GWLN Leadership workshops work in progress
Education of Women and Girls
- business management education
- Girls For a Change - empowers thousands of teen girls to create and lead social change. GFC provides girls with professional female role models, leadership training and the inspiration to work together in teams to solve persistent societal problems in their communities.
- Dads and Daughters - active, engaged father-daughter relationships help girls grow--and when dads, daughters and others help overcome obstacles for girls and women.
- Packaging Girlhood - Parent Guide to protect girls from marketers and media
- Girls' Economic Power Day - inspire independence, create confidence, and instill responsibility in girls aged 14-18
- Arts Institute for African Artists - art management, leadership, marketing
- MIT Spinoff's Little Green Laptop a Hit in Remote Peruvian Village http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGuide/wireStory?id=4047622
- information literacy tutorials http://www.psych.ualberta.ca/~ITL/InformationLiteracy/WebPages/
- China has made a huge commitment to using online software to teach their population. They're a part of the Open Courseware Consortium http://www.ocwconsortium.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=32
- Giving Knowledge for Free The Emergence of Open Educational Resources, OECD Publishing Centre for Educational Research and Innovation, May 22, 2007. http://22.214.171.124/oecd/pdfs/browseit/9607041E.PDF
- Open Educational Practices and Resources: OLCOS Roadmap 2012, January 2007 http://www.olcos.org/cms/upload/docs/olcos_roadmap.pdf
Open learning repositories
- Open Educational Content - WikiEducator Open Educational Content - Introduction and Tutorials A collaborative development with the OLCOS project consortium and everybody, who wants to contribute! The objective of this online-book is to support students and teachers in the creation, re-use
- iberry.com - information for educators, researchers, graduates, students and self-learners directory of good quality OCW that will be of most use and relevance to self-learners and educators. Courseware items consisting of little more than a syllabus statement are not listed while those with good lecture notes are normally included,
- Managing Groups and Teams/Conflict - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks
- Repositories - OER_Wiki
- to a worldwide learning network — OER Commons OER Commons is a teaching and learning network, from K-12 lesson plans to college courseware, from algebra to zoology, open to everyone to use and add to.
- OpenCourseWare at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health provide equal and open access to information and knowledge about the obstacles to the public's health and their potential solutions.
- OpenCourseWare Finder
- OpenCourseWare Consortium - Use Find course materials by browsing individual OpenCourseWare sites or by searching across all courses. Unless otherwise noted, the links below are to English-language versions of the sites.
- Utah State OpenCourseWare — Free Online Course Materials — USU OpenCourseWare
- The Center for Open Sustainable Learning — COSL
- Open Courseware (OCW): Open and Free Management Courses Does not require that participants to register # Does not provide access to IIM faculty # Does not grant degrees or certificates # Allow free use to all, as long as you provide copyright reference to "International Institute of Management http://www.iim-edu.org
- Free Online MIT Course Materials Sloan School of Management MIT OpenCourseWare The MIT Sloan School of Management is committed to improving the world by advancing the practice of management.
Women's Entrepreneurship and Development
- Rural Business Development Center
- Mercado Global - non-profit fair trade organization that links the world’s most rural and economically-disadvantaged cooperatives to the U.S. market through a model that provides both fair wages and investments in community’s long-term development.
- 85broads - promotes the empowerment of women around the world. The ultimate career connection for smart women worldwide
- leadership skills development - vision, planning, implementation, review; entrepreneurship - financial, social; success, assessment, evaluation, measurement; influence, promotion; fund raising
- certify AIS/HIV caregivers ? Cisco Network Academy
- Sexual education
- HIV Aids
- Malaria causes severe illness in 500 million people worldwide each year, and kills more than one million. It is estimated that 40% of the world's population are at risk of the disease. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7155398.stm
- HIV/AIDS - A Cape Town-based NGO, Gold Peer Education Development Agency, has designed a programme for the youth to educate their peers on how to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS. Gold (an acronym for Generation of Leaders Discovered) has a vision to see a generation of young African leaders confronting the root issues of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through uplifting their communities. http://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org/media-centre/newsletters/february-2007
- Project Peanut Butter - Peanut-based Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF) is an energy-dense lipid paste very similar to commercial peanut butter, but with added vitamins and minerals, powdered milk, vegetable oil, and sugar. It has been used successfully in home-based care as the singular therapeutic food for severely malnourished children with a 90% recovery rate. It is produced locally for the children of sub-Saharan Africa
Homeless and Orphaned Youth
Volunteers and Volunteering
Technologies and support
about communication and people, appeals to our innate sense of curiosity, definitely life-enhancing.
- help for bloggers - Probloger
- Nonprofit Commons (NPC) project Nonprofits in Second Life (NPSL) profiles Khrys Vaughan about using Second Life for business
- WikiEducator - wiki - web-based application to encourage participation and collaboration, flexible, platform-neutral and accessible from anywhere there is a net connection.
- other technologies that can be adopted for communication and information exchange, like Google Calendar, Docs, and Reader and the new photo-editing tools on Flickr. Most are available free of charge, although some are advertising supported.
- TechSoup provides a range of technology services for nonprofits, including news and articles, discussion forums, and discounted and donated technology products, the technology place for nonprofits
- TechSoup Stock connects nonprofits and public libraries with donated and discounted technology products. Choose from over 240 products
- Her Startup We provide women with the support and information they need to launch their own businesses with the intention of them going on to create economic opportunities for others. We consider ourselves a hybrid organization as we strive to help women in transition by partnering with nonprofits to meet their needs, and participate in projects that will allow us to help women within their own economies.
Suggestions for networking and collaboration
- Br!ck Awards - honoring young world-changers. Winners represent the best in their field or issue and are rewarded with a huge community grant and a special televised award ceremony.
- International Museum of Women IMOW and their community organization partners