|At the end of this topic you should have achieved the following outcomes. You will have:
- developed an understanding of the purpose of assessment and a definition;
- familiarised yourself with the language of assessment;
- evaluated some assessment tasks in your courses against the eight ideals for assessment;
- investigated your organisational assessment policies;
- created a checklist based on the 12 principles of effective assessment;
- evaluated one of the formal assessments you use in your teaching, using the checklist; and
- identified improvements and changes you might make to your assessments.