Factors That Enhance; Hinder Empathy
In this lesson,you will guide the learners to discuss the factors that enhance and those that hinder empathy.
Before you embark on the topic, review the definition of empathy by asking the students to say what they have already learnt.
|By the end of the lesson the learner should be able to:
- Analyse factors that enhance empathy.
- Analyse factors that hinder empathy.
|The materials to be used in this lesson include:
- An LCD projector(where available)
- A flip chart
- Mark pens/Felt pens
- Manila papers
Definitions of Terminologies
Since the term empathy has already been defined in the previous lessons and as a reminder during the introduction of the lesson, it is necessary for you to ascertain that the terms, factors, enhance and hinder are understood by the learners before you embark on the topic. Therefore, ask the students to share their understanding of these terms and summarize for them what they mean in preparation for the next phase.
|Involve the learners in the following activities
- Divide the learners in groups not exceeding 5 members each.
- Ask each group to choose a group coordinator and a secretary.
- Ask them to discuss and write down factors that enhance and those that hinder empathy.
- Supply each group with 2 manila papers and felt pens.
- Ask them to transfer the factors discussed on to Manila papers.
N.B: Factors that enhance and those that hinder empathy should be on separate manila papers
- Ask each group to present and hang its findings for the others to see.
- Project on LCD first the factors that enhance and then those that hinder empathy.
- Allow the learners to note them down in their exercise books. A flip chart or the board can be
used in cases where the LCD-projector is unavailable.
Factors that enhance empathy
Factors that hinder empathy
- Inability to listen effectively
- Prejudices, biases, stereotyping
- Discrimination based on social cultural background
- Lack of respect for human dignity
|As a form of self assessment:
- Ask the pupils to share with the others how they have either contributed to the achievement or the hinderance of empathy and what lessons they carry home with them.
- Show the learners the followimg picture and ask them to describe what it represents.
|You need to do the following before the end of the lesson:
In a brief form, recap the lesson's content.
Ask the learners to come up with a project that they would engage in as a school to promote the achievement of empathhy.