Enhancing e learning content by integrating Moodle with other open source educational software
|Work in progress, expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is welcome. See discussion page.|
A number of teachers/trainers are not aware that there is a lot of knowledge that with other people they can use out to teach a number of disciplines. The teachers having been trained and brought up in a very capitalistic and competitive environment they strongly adhere to the maxim- everybody for himself and God for all of us.So teachers struggle to develop content and ensure that they are restricted to his/her institution and at worse to his/her students.
After this wiki educator course i have seen the light, i realize knowledge shared is more sustainable and scalable. It is for this reason that i am inspired to develop a resource that can assist teacher in being aware of other softwares that enable them use the Moodle with a lot of ease with compromising quality. The identified softwares are
- exe- to upload content to Moodle or other lms
- Hot potatoes for constructing objectives tests and making the content more interactive
- Merlot to enable them utilize some of it resources to spice up the content and give a stimulus variation
These resources were created by the facilitator for the following target groups:
- teachers particularly those ones who are now moving towards delivering content via LMS
- professional bodies offering continuous professional development education.
- anyone who is interested in the development of open & distance learning.
The materials comprise a series of eleven units, each of which includes specific learning objectives, explanatory text, practical exercises, questions for discussion and recommendations for further reading. The units are as follows:
- Unit 1 - Concept of e learning and LMS
- Unit 2 - Using free and open softwares
- Unit 3 - Exe as tool of developing and uploading content
- Unit 4 - Installing EXe
- Unit 5 - Developing content with EXE
- Unit 6 - Uploading content using EXE
- Unit 7 - The Hot potatoes
- Unit 8 - Developing the various hot potatoes
- Unit 9 - Uploading the hot potatoes via the Exe
- Unit 10 - The resources available in Merlot
While these units develop in a natural progression, it is not necessary to work your way through all units from start to finish. Instead, please feel free to dip into the units as you wish.