The school should carry out activities that will provide a clean, safe and natural environment and practices for students to model at school and at home.
The school community will make a conscious effort to:
1. Waste management
· Reduce, reuse and recycle waste.
· Composite food scraps, such as fruit and peels
· Reduce the amount of paper used by use of ICT storage of documents.
· Encourage double- sided printing to save paper.
· Buy recyclable, recycled-content, less toxic and locally produced products whenever possible to reduce waste.
· Discourage the burning of waste by using off site dumping.
· Reduce the use of chemicals, fertilizers and herbicides will be encouraged.
· Reduce or eliminate the purchase of materials that are not safe or environmentally sound.
· Proper storage and use of hazardous chemicals under carefully specified conditions.
· The school will use non-toxic, hypoallergenic building and maintenance products.
2. Resource and Energy Conservation:
· Using low energy consumption equipment for lighting and cooking.
· Ensuring that school electronic equipments like computers, photocopiers are always switched to low power management modes. Furthermore the layout of future computer buildings will be one that ensures efficiency of cooling systems
· The school will gradually replace desktops with laptops or flat screen display monitors.
· Also use of thin clients should be encouraged.
· Encourage the use of multi functional devices for example printers with scanning copying and fax functions instead of running separate devices.
3. Preserve and enhance local environments:
Annual event deducted to planting of tree by teachers , students and the community.
Maintenance of tree nursery bed.
Maintenance of a herbal garden.
- Radon and other radioactive substances.
- If elevated radiation levels are found, experienced radon professionals should be consulted for further analysis and procedures to reduce radon levels.
· The school will ensure that school-owned vehicles are maintained and operated in a fashion that has the least impact on the environment. Unnecessary idling of school buses or other vehicles on school property will be discouraged.
- Drinking water:
- The school should monitor drinking water periodically to identify possible contamination of lead in the original water.
- Corroded plumbing materials and some equipment such as water coolers should be replaced immediately.
- Professional assistance should be consulted if any levels are identified.