CIS 2 Computers and the Internet in Society :: FALL 2008
| Students @ Work - a student collaborative writing project. |
Help us by providing feedback on the Discussion page.
Week 4. Students' Guide to Group Work
- Keep in touch with your group members frequently.
- It is important for your group to come up with a common platform to communicate. The platform can range from face to face meeting, discussion in a forum, chatroom, email, etc. It should be a platform that every group member is comfortable with and committed to attending.
- Active listening: show that you hear and understand what other group members are trying to convey. Validate other team members contributions when applicable.
- When possible, ask open-ended questions that allow other members to provide full responses.
- Find a common ground with other members of the group, discuss group and individual expectations, define conflicts and resolutions.
- Clarify the roles and responsibilities of each group member.
- Define and recognize when outcomes and milestones are met.
Week 8. Great Technologies List
- http://www.x-rates.com/ foreign currency exchange rate converter. (C.C)
- http://www.freetranslation.com/- free web translation web site, (C.C)
- Twiki - A powerful, and easy to use enterprise wiki, enterprise collaboration platform and knowledge management system. (A.A)
- Tineye- a new type of image search engine to which you can upload a picture file to search the same kind of picture instead of searching by words. (S.K)
- FotoFlexer - an online image editor that provides various types of image editing functions for free. (S.K)
- FreeTranslation - An online site that translates anything you want it to into just about any other language for free. (D.R)
- FreeEyeTest - An online site that lets you take an eye test for free. (D.R)
- Dictionary- An online site that lets you look up the definition of the word for free. (A.C)
- WebMed- An online website that lets you look up your symptoms and then gives you some of the different illnesses that you might have for free. (A.C)
- http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ - A website where you can translate words in different languages and even a whole website. (PM)
- http://www.myelectronicmd.com/ - A website where you can have a free medical diagnosis by symptoms. (PM)
- http://www.brennanangel.freeservers.com/custom2.html - Prenatal diagnosis employs a variety of techniques to determine the health and condition of an unborn fetus. (R.B)
- helpmyhound.com - A free online screening to find a canine disease or medical condition. (R.B)
- http://thesaurus.reference.com/ - An online thesaurus that you can look up a word's synonyms and antonyms for free. (L.N.)
- convertunits.com- An online website that helps you convert measurement units. (L.N.)
- Hulu - End of Tivo. You can watch your favorite TV shows with limited commercials. Currently their list of shows and movies is not very long but it is growing rapidly. (H.Y)
- http://www.bubblesnaps.com- A website to create your own note on your picture. (Y.D)
- LendingTree - A website that will search various financial institutions for the best mortgage rate. (A.T.)
- Mortgage Calculator - This website will calculate how much your monthly mortgage payment will be based on the interest rate and term provided by the user. (A.T.)
- http://www.sharkscope.com A website that allows you to look up opponents stats for online poker. J F
- http://www.sitngoplanet.com A website that helps to your success for online sit and go tournaments. JF