|Work in progress, expect frequent changes. Help and feedback is welcome. See discussion page.|
- 1 Our Objectives for WikiEducator in Canada
- 2 Projects
- 3 News & Activities
- 4 Learning materials - Donations and/or Commitments
- 5 Request for Assistance
- 6 Partners
- 7 Useful Links
- 8 WikiAmbassadors / Contacts
- 9 Reaching Our Targets (Learning 4 Content Workshops in the Commonwealth)
- 10 How Complete is this Country Page?
Our Objectives for WikiEducator in Canada
"The more we can learn from each other, the better we can all be."
News & Activities
- Stephen Downes has named and awarded WikiEducator the top spot - best educational wiki. Please refer to this Article, December 2007
- Jim Hebden, retired high school teacher in BC donates wealth of learning resources to WikiEducator. - He has a wonderful set of chemistry resources. A special thank you to the BC Science Teachers Association website. November 2007
- Active development of WikiBuddy role in the WikiEducator program in skill development. (Note: to be used within the context of the Learning4Content project).
- Dialogue with Pankaj Khare and Sanjay Mishra (IGNOU) about hosting meetings on WikiEducator, and learning from the Otago Polytechnic case study on Terra Incognita for introducing open educational content, for an educational institution. Referred IGNOU to speak with Leigh Blackall
- Dialogue with Seth Bokpe, Ghana to learn wiki-journalism skills.
- Dialogue initiated with Anil Prasad- to help him with WikiGovernance initiatives in India, and invitation to join COLLaGE.
- Dialogue initiated with Gord Stewart, Executive Director of Big Little Science Center, Kamloops - December 2007
- Pete Mackay, Publisher of Teacher List.ca sends out an announcement to his community about WikiEducator.
- Exploring connection with First Nations Education Steering Committee, Vancouver, BC
- Contacts with 2 key people at School District 73, Kamloops, BC
- Helping Pankaj Khare (IGNOU, India) develop an Information Handbook of Open Universities
- Jim Hebden introduces Randy Fisher to Gord Stewart, Executive Director of Big Little Science Center, of Kamloops, BC. He has begun using WikiEducator, and we are exploring opportunities to work together., December 2007
- Earle Peach, Vancouver-based social activist, composer choirmaster and music teacher introduces Randy Fisher to Seth Bopke of Ghana, who is interested in using WikiEducator for his journalism school activities in Ghana, December 2007
Action Items & Responsibilities
- coming soon - click here
Learning materials - Donations and/or Commitments
WE are actively seeking donations of Learning Materials for the WikiEducator community ~ who in turn will localise and adapt them for their local context. If you, or someone you know has learning materials (lesson plans, handouts, case studies, briefing notes) to donate, please visit WikiEducator's Donation Page, or contact Randy Fisher.
- Math and English Lessons - College of the Rockies, (see Commonwealth of Learning press release). Thanks Dr. Nick Rubidge & Gina Bennett
- Chemistry Resources (Gr. 11 & 12) - donated by retired BC Science Teacher, Jim Hebden. Thanks also to Ross Spina, BC School District 73, of Kamloops / Thompson, BC
- Commitment obtained from Prof. & Research Fellow / Professor in India, Chandar Sundaram - Randy Fisher - to donate course materials on WWII history.
- Commitment obtained from Helena Fehr - to assist Arnold Pietersen of the Community Education Computer Society (CECS) in South Africa to convert some of his training manuals into wiki format.
Request for Assistance
We are looking for help:
- We are looking for photographers to add to Wikimedia "Commons collection of free photos (for education) that we can use in our webpages, and add to the Commons - check out WikiMedia Commons Canada page. Are there any photo clubs that are willing to help us? Contact Randy Fisher
WikiAmbassadors / Contacts
- Randy Fisher, iCentro Networks, Vancouver, BC
- Wayne Mackintosh, Education Specialist, eLearning & ICT Policy, Commonwealth of Learning, Vancouver, BC
- Patricia Schlicht, Programme Assistant, eLearning & ICT Policy, Commonwealth of Learning, Vancouver, BC
- Martin Buck, Instructor, Community Learning Partnerships, Camosun College, Victoria, BC
- Nellie Deutsch Toronto
Reaching Our Targets (Learning 4 Content Workshops in the Commonwealth)
|L4C Vital Statistics- 30 June 2010|
|No. of online workshops||55 (as of Jan 2014)|
|No. of face-to-face workshops||62|
Education is not filling a bucket but lighting a fire. -- William B. Yeats
Hi, I'm Valerie Taylor and for many years, I have been interested in technology and learning.
An ongoing frustration has been creating and sharing information electronically - endless trails of emails, dozens of copies of versions of documents in distribution, inability to easily correct and update information over time. I was delighted to discover WikiEducator - the open and free wiki space and the community of practice. I am looking forward to continued association with this ground-breaking organization addressing the needs of learners globally. This is the power and promise of online education, facilitated by WikiEducator. Read more ...