- 1 Objective
- 2 What is botanic nomenclature or plant nomenclature ?
- 3 How are plant names given or changed ?
- 4 Use Correct Nomenclature for Naming Plants
- 5 Identify Four Unfamiliar Plants
- 6 Supporting Material
The following activities will explain how plant names are given or changed and why botanic nomenclature or plant naming is so important to people interested in horticulture. Plant identification keys will be explained and their uses demonstrated.
What is botanic nomenclature or plant nomenclature ?
Search the Library of Resources to find answers for the following questions; you may respond in writing, voice recording or video and submit to your learning facilitator through email, postage or your weblog:
- Explain why plant names are important to people involved in horticulture.
- Choose one plant that interests you and provide information on its full classification; include it's kingdom, division, class, subclass, order, family, genus and species.
- Who was the Swedish botanist who put into practice the modern system of naming plants?
- What is the binomial system for naming plants?
How are plant names given or changed ?
You are walking the Milford Track and have come across a plant that you have never seen before and you think no one else has seen this plant before either. How would you go about naming this new plant?
Use Correct Nomenclature for Naming Plants
Names in correct form
Rewrite the following plant names in their correct form.
Genus and Species
- HEBE TOPIARIA
- CAREX LUCIDA
- MAGNOLIA GRANDIFLORA
- ACER TATARICUM GINNALA
- CEDRUS LIBANI BREVIFOLIA
- CAUSARINA EQUISETIFOLIA INCANA
- FAGUS SYLVATICA HETEROPHYLLA
- ACER RUBRUM DRUMMONDII
- HEBE PARVIFOLIA ARBOREA
Cultivars (cultivated variety)
- RHODODENDRON VIREYA SAINT VALENTINE
- PANDOREA JASMINOIDES LADY DI
- BORONIA HETEROPHYLLA JUST MARGARET
- PINUS RADIATA SYN. PINUS INSIGNIS
- BRASSAIA ACTINOPHYLLA SYN. SCHEFFLERA ACTINOPHYLLA
- HEUCHERA MICRANTHA SYN. HEUCHERA BARBAROSSA
Species Hybrid (Interspecific)
- LOPHOMYRTUS RALPHII
- VIBURNUM JUDDII
- ROBINIA FRASERI
- ENGLISH LAVENDER
Correct botanical nomenclature form
Rewrite the following plant names in the correct botanical nomenclature form.
The names are already in the correct order i.e. common name, genus and species. Note where the commas divide the parts of the name.
- PAPER BIRCH, BETULA PAPYRIFERA
- NEW ZEALAND KOWHAI, SOPHORA TETRAPTERA
- PINK HORSE CHESTNUT, AESCULUS X CARNEA
- CORN, ZEA MAYS
- NEW ZEALAND CLEMATIS, CLEMATIS PANICULATA
- BLUE CEDAR, CEDRUS ATLANTICA
- KARAMU, COPROSMA LUCIDA
- LAVENDER, LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA
- CHINESE MAIDENHAIR TREE, GINKGO BILOBA
Common English and Maori names for New Zealand Natives
Look up and write correctly the common names in English and Maori for the following native plants:
Remember do not just copy the book (they are often incorrect) - check that you have written it following the correct form.
- Pittosporum eugenioides
- Cordyline indivisa
- Coprosma repens
Identify Four Unfamiliar Plants
Watch this video about Hebes and go to your local nursery or botanic garden and find 3 other Hebes