Best Practices when Downloading
There are a number of measures you can take to protect yourself from viruses:
- Install good anti-virus software and update it on a regular basis, for example at least once a month but preferably once a week. But always remember, anti-virus software is not perfect. It cannot be the only measure you take.
- Scan all diskettes before reading them.
- Enable the auto-protection feature on the anti-virus software to scan emails.
- Be wary of emails from unknown sources, particularly if they contain attachments. Some very careful users delete emails they are unsure of without opening them.
- Use an Internet Service Provider than scans emails before delivery.
- Do not download files/software from unknown Internet sites.
- Be careful of using diskettes from unknown sources.
- Do not install pirated software.