Shawn Henry Vernon
|Website:||University of Belize|
|Employer:||University of Belize|
This GSTU 101 Online course is designed for new and returning students who require assistance in effective scheduling and time management, building analytical, oral, written and communication skills, and development of learning habits. It also caters to students with minimum technological background desiring to improve study skills neccessary to excel in
Aims of GSTU 101 Online
- To develop an independence in utilizing essential tools and techniques for long term learning
- To enable students to develop study skills early in their selected program through a self-paced environment that stimulates responsibility
- To promote a mature student environment whereby students are equipped with the necessary skills to take charge of their own learning
- To motivate and build students locus of control
- To create an awareness of the roles and responsibilities of an active learner
- To encourage smooth transition from high school to college
- To build students confidence and moral in learning
- To develop a positive learning culture at the University of Belize
- To provide students with the necessary research skills to cite and reference information
- To develop students reading, writing, visual and metacognitive skills for life long learning
Effectiveness of GSTU101 Online
- To provide students with a how – to guide to allow smooth transition from regular to online classes.
- Weekly synchronous and asynchronous group discussions should provide effective, interactive communication between faculty and students
- Students will receive regular assessments and formative evaluation through the duration of GSTU101 Online.
- Each section of the online course will be managed by a team of UB personnel that includes faculty members supported by a technical staff.
- Availability of self-paced activities that stimulates effective study habits necessary in higher education.
- Added support such as counseling, advising and mentoring will be provided to develop students self-efficacy within a self-regulated learning environment.
Skills to be Developed
- Study Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Student Life Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills