- The Applied Mathematics Department was initially called STATITICS Department. It's name was changed to Applied Mathematics Department in 2009 to provide suport services to other Departments in Statistics and Mathematics related areas.
- The Department of Statistics was established in 1997 with an initial enrolment of 35 students. The Department presently has a student population of 137. Lecturers from the department assist in the teaching of Statistics and Mathematics-related courses in other departments in the Institution. Some of the courses taught in other departments include Quantitative Methods and Business Mathematics.
- The mission of the Statistics Department is to help students develop their intellect and expand their understanding of the role of science in the objective, systematic pursuit of truth.
- Again the Department aims at helping students appreciate how sound statistical methodology strengthens scientific conclusions, cultivate the ability to understand and communicate the results from empirical research in an ethical manner and help students develop and apply methods of modern statistical science.
- To succeed in this mission, the Department has the following goals:
- Offer the students educational experience in statistics and actuarial science that will prepare them to pursue satisfying and productive careers and qualifies them to enter competitive graduate programmes;
- Offer applied statistics programmes that prepare outstanding students for successful and productive careers;
- Provide superb teaching in general education and service courses to cultivate an understanding of the role of the scientific method in performing empirical research, and
- Contribute to the advancement of statistical science through peer-reviewed research, and collaborate on the pursuit of knowledge across scientific disciplines.