Antarctica/Exploration ICEBLOCK/Teachers Backpack/Pantoum learning activity sequence
Learning Activity Sequence for Producing a Pantoum
- Read a story with lots of rich language and language devices, about Antarctica e.g. from the School Journal list in the 'Teachers Backpack'
- Identify and discuss rich language and devices such as metaphor, simile, onomatopoeia, rhetorical questions and personification.
- Divide the class so that you have 12 small groups and brainstorm aspects of Antarctica. Consider appearance, sound, smell, movement, students's knowledge etc.
- Each group composes a line.
- As a class assemble the lines to create a poem. The order for a pantoum is:
*1,2,3,4, *2,5,4,6, *5,7,6,8, *7,9,8,10, *9,11,10,12, *11,2,12,1.
Have Fun and check out Warrington School Room2's example and how they did theirs.