Adult User Education/Module 5 Objectives and Readings
- Dewald, Nancy, Ann Scholz-Crane, Austin Booth, and Cynthia Levine. "Information Literacy at a Distance: Instructional Design Issues." The Journal of Academic Librarianship 26, no. 1 (January 2000): 33-44 - This article has some great information on instructional technologies that can be used at a distance, but keep in mind that these technologies could also be incorporated into the web page of a library, or utilized in training sessions.
- Cohen, David. "Course-Management Software: Where's the Library?" Educause Review 37, no. 3 (May/June 2002): 12-13 - http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0239.pdf - This is a short article that discusses where the library can fit into a university course management system.
- Dewald, Nancy H. "Transporting Good Library Instruction Practices into the Web Environment: An Analysis of Online Tutorials." The Journal of Academic Librarianship 25, no. 1 (January 1999): 26-31 - This article talks about considerations for utilizing online tutorials as a means of providing instruction.
- "Wikis in the Online Class" - http://twuid.pbwiki.com/Wikis+in+the+Online+Class - This information area from the TWU Instructional Design resource discusses what a wiki is and why it is an effective instructional choice. Even if your class is not online, you can still use this information if you plan on working with a wiki!
- "Blogs in the Online Class" - http://twuid.pbwiki.com/Blogs+in+the+Online+Class - Another resource from TWU Instructional Design.
- "Podcasting in the Online Class" - http://twuid.pbwiki.com/Podcasting+in+the+Online+Class - Another resource from TWU Instructional Design.
- "What is a Webquest?" - http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/concept2class/webquests/index.html - Information on what a webquest is and how they can be used with other educational techniques.
- "Screencast" definition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screencast
- Wink - http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ - a free software that will allow you to create screen-capture tutorials and save them as flash files.
- Jing - http://www.jingproject.com/ - another free screen-capture tool.
- Camtasia - http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp?CMP=KgoogleCStmhome - a more expensive version of this kind of tool.
- Online, or virtual, communities:
- "Virtual Community" definition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_communities
- List of virtual communities - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_virtual_communities
- Educational software:
- SoftChalk - http://www.softchalk.com/ - this software allows you to create learning modules and has some really neat features (I encourage you to look at some of the demos).
- StudyMate - http://www.respondus.com/studymate/samples.shtml - this software creates quizzes and learning activities.
- Articulate - http://www.articulate.com/ - this company's software can be used for both learning modules and activities.
- Synchronous tools:
- Wimba - http://www.wimba.com/ - an online tool that allows synchronous meetings via the Internet. This tool has text, audio, and video capabilities, along with a whiteboard and the ability to upload files such as powerpoints.
- Elluminate - http://www.elluminate.com/ - this tool is similar to Wimba, but it also has a 3-person version that you can use for free!
- Skype - http://www.skype.com/ - this tool uses VOIP (voice over internet protocol) and allows you to call anyone via the Internet. There are also video capabilities that you can use with this tool.
- Collaborative Writing:
- Google Docs - https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely&passive=true&nui=1&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F&followup=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F<mpl=homepage&rm=false - this is an online tool that allows you to share your documents with others, and it allows for asynchronous collaboration on documents by enabling each use to edit in real-time online. No more file exchanges by email are needed!
- Buzzword - https://buzzword.acrobat.com/ - Adobe's version of document sharing and editing.
- Zoho - http://www.zoho.com/ - a suite of online collaborative applications.