Access computer resources via a local area network (LAN)
People credited with this unit standard are able to: describe the use of a LAN; access a LAN; manage files on a LAN; and manage printing on a LAN. This unit is based on a person having the prior knowledge and skills to operate a personal computer, such as those covered by in knowledge of a personal computer system.
This unit is used in the following courses
Describe the use of a LAN
- The advantages and disadvantages of using LAN systems are outlined and compared to stand alone systems.
- The ethical issues associated with the use of LANs are outlined.
Range: may include but is not limited to - privacy, security, use of resources.
Access a LAN
- Workstation connection is established according to organisation procedure for user access.
- Workstation disconnection is made according to organisation procedure for user access.
Manage files on a LAN
- Transfer of files across a LAN is demonstrated.
- Files are opened, created and saved using a networked application.
Manage printing on a LAN
- A print job is sent to a selected printer, other than the default printer.