About the RIE-NCERT, Mysore
- 1 Regional Institute of Education (NCERT), Mysore. The Regional Institute of Education (formerly Regional College of Education), Mysore founded on August 1, 1963, is one of the five such institutions established by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), New Delhi. The other Institutes are located at Ajmer, Bhopal, Bhuvaneshwar and Shillong. The institution has been functioning as REGIONAL INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION with effect from 18 April 1995, following a major shift in its focus from pre-service education to in service education. The pre-service teacher training programmes of the Institute are affiliated to the University of Mysore and cater to the needs of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry and Lakshadweep.
- 2 ROLES OF THE INSTITUTE
- 3 FUNCTIONS OF THE INSTITUTE
- 4 LOCATION AND FACILITIES
- 5 COURSES OFFERED
- 6 Course & Duration Main Features Eligibility
- 7 M.Sc.Ed in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
- 8 DETAILS ABOUT THE COURSES
- 9 COVERAGE
- 10 SCHOLARSHIP
- 11 RESERVATION
- 12 HOW AND WHEN TO APPLY
- 13 INSTRUCTIONAL SCHEDULE
- 14 SCHOLARSHIP RULES
- 15 LIBRARY
- 16 HOSTEL
- 17 For Details Contact
Regional Institute of Education (NCERT), Mysore. The Regional Institute of Education (formerly Regional College of Education), Mysore founded on August 1, 1963, is one of the five such institutions established by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), New Delhi. The other Institutes are located at Ajmer, Bhopal, Bhuvaneshwar and Shillong. The institution has been functioning as REGIONAL INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION with effect from 18 April 1995, following a major shift in its focus from pre-service education to in service education. The pre-service teacher training programmes of the Institute are affiliated to the University of Mysore and cater to the needs of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry and Lakshadweep.
ROLES OF THE INSTITUTE
The major academic role of the Regional Institute of Education, Mysore is to design and implement innovative pre-service and in-service teacher training programmes and to conduct continuing education/training programmes for capacity building of key level educational functionaries of the states/union territories in the southern region in the context of national policies and programmes. RIEM is also engaged in carrying out research and developmental activities in education and offers consultancy services in matters related to school education and teacher training.
FUNCTIONS OF THE INSTITUTE
To provide academic support to clientele states/union territories in the southern region as per their needs in school education.
- To act as a regional resource institution for school education and teacher education.
- To act as a Regional Centre/outpost of NCERT and implement the policies and programmes of NCERT besides designing region/state specific programmes based on the needs of the states.
- To function as an Institute for Teacher Training and Educational Research, besides undertaking capacity building tasks for the staff of SCERTs, IASEs, CTEs and DIETs of the region in the areas of
- Teacher Training.
- Skill development for classroom application of new pedagogical concepts, instructional strategies and classroom management techniques.
- Material production.
- Curriculum Renewal.
- Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Educational Research.
- To assist in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of centrally sponsored schemes such as
- Science Education.
- Non-formal Education.
- Vocational Education.
- Educational Technology.
- SOPT (Special Orientation Programme for Teachers).
- DPEP (District Primary Education Programme).
- SSA (Sarva Siksha Abiyan)
- Population Education.
- Environmental Orientation to School Education.
- To design and tryout innovative pre-service teacher training through the 4-year integrated B.Sc.Ed. Course and one year M.Ed. (with specialization in Elementary Education) Course.
- To assist the states in the development, field testing and evaluation of curriculum materials, textbooks, instructional materials and preparation of training packages, with special reference to MLL, gender sensitivity, multigrade teaching, special education, etc.
- To document and disseminate innovative classroom practices.
- To promote educational research related to all areas of school education and teacher education.
LOCATION AND FACILITIES
The institute is located to the west of Mysore City and is situated in a sprawling, picturesque, 120 acre campus. The Institute is about 5 km from the railway station and 6 km from the central bus-stand and is easily accessible by public transport. The campus is designed on the lines of a modern university campus adjoining the Manasgangotri campus of the University of Mysore. The RIE Campus is well equipped with necessary infrastructure to make the Institute a truly prestigious one. The Institute is fully residential and has four hostels - Ganga, Krishna, Cauvery and Narmada. The Godavari Guest House is a relatively new facility on the campus to accommodate guests. The Institute has adequate number of staff quarters, play fields, horticulture nursery, technology workshop, library, audio video studio, computer resource centre, teaching aids centre, laboratories in different disciplines and botanical as well as zoological museums. The Demonstration School, a prestigious school in Mysore, is one of the units of the Institute. The school serves as an epicenter of the Institute for trying out new and innovative strategies in teaching. The campus also has basic service facilities like bank, post office, canteen and a health clinic. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION IN SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS
Course & Duration Main Features Eligibility
B.Sc.Ed. Eight-Semester Integrated Undergraduate course in content and pedagogy to prepare Secondary School Teachers PUC or equivalent from academic stream with 45% marks in the aggregate and with the subjects Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics for PCM Course and Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology/Physics, Chemistry, Biology / Botany, Zoology, Chemistry for CBZ course. M.Ed. 1 year Two - Semester Post-graduate course with specialization in Elementary Education. B.Ed. or equivalent degree with 50% marks in aggregate.
M.Sc.Ed in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
Twlve-Semester Integrated Post graduate course in content and pedagogy to prepare Higher Secondary School Teachers PUC or equivalent from academic stream with 45% marks in the aggregate and with the subjects Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics for PCM Course and Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics.
DETAILS ABOUT THE COURSES
Admission to both courses is limited to candidates from the southern region comprising the states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry and Lakshadweep.
20% of the stipulated number of students are eligible for merit-cum-means scholarship as per the rules for each course. Stay in the hostel is compulsory for scholarship holders. All the SC/ST students are eligible for scholarship as per rules. (For details see item 5 of Scholarship Rules).
15% seats for SCs, 7.5% seats for STs and 27% seats for OBCs are reserved in each course. Relaxation of marks upto 5% is allowed for SCs and STs for admission. All eligible SC/ST/OBC students will be awarded scholarship during the I Semester.
HOW AND WHEN TO APPLY
Announcement for admission to the various courses of the Institute appears in major national newspapers. Application forms are usually issued from 1 June every year. Requisition for application forms should follow the detailed instructions given in the admission announcement. Admission will be made on the basis of marks obtained in the qualifying examination and as per the quota earmarked for each state. All the applications shall be subjected to screening and mere possession of minimum eligibility qualifications does not entitle the applicant for admission. Requisition for application form should be accompanied by a crossed demand draft only, payable at Mysore for Rs.30/- (Rupees thirty only) for each application, drawn in favour of the Principal, Regional Institute of Education, Mysore-570 006 and a self-addressed 26cm x 12cm size envelope bearing Rs.3/- postal stamp mentioning clearly the name of the course, should be sent to the Assistant Programme Coordinator, (Academic Section), Regional Institute of Education, Mysore-570 006 during the first week of June. Payment by MO/Cash/Postal order will not be accepted.
The Instructional programmes of the Institute are organized into semesters and will be carried out broadly as per the following schedule : July 1 to November 30 December 1 to December 31 January 1 to April 30 May 1 to June 30 Odd semesters I, III, V, VII, IX, XI Mid Semester Vacation Even semesters II, IV, VI, VIII, X, XII Summer Vacation Depending upon the duration and scheduling of examinations and internship, the actual commencement and duration of the semesters and vacations may vary for different courses and these will be notified in the detailed academic calendar that will be drawn up for each semester.
- Merit -cum - means scholarship will be awarded only to the top 50% of the students enrolled in the first year of each course.
- Candidates whose parent's income is upto Rs. 1,00,000/- per annum will receive full amount of scholarship as mentioned in the Admission Notice. For those having an income of above Rs. 1,00,000/- per annum only 50% of the rate of scholarship will be admissible.
- The scholarship in the second and subsequent years / semesters will be admissible only when the candidate secures atleast 50% marks in the previous semester examination will also be necessary for continuation of the scholarship in the subsequent years / semesters.
- Residence in the hostel is compulsory for scholarship holders. Scholarship will be awarded only if candidates do not draw scholarship from any other source or do not draw salaries from their employers.
- Merit -cum -means scholarship will be awarded to the prescribed number of students admitted in the B.Sc.Ed. course @ Rs. 800/- per month for Semesters I to IV, and Rs.150/- per month for Semesters V and VI and Rs.190/- per month for Semesters VII and VIII. Students in the four year B.Sc.Ed. course will be given scholarship for 10 months only during the 4th year, but they will draw scholarship for 12 months during the first 3 years of the course. M.Ed. students will be paid Rs. 375/- per month for 10 months.
- All the SC / ST students admitted will be awarded scholarship in the first semester.
- The continuation of scholarship will depend on regularity in attendance, good progress and good conduct.
The Institute library possesses over 60,000 volumes on various disciplines. The library is divided into three sections -Loan, Reference and Journal. The books have been catalogued and classified as per Dewey Decimal Classification. Author, Subject and Title Catalogues are maintained for use by staff and students. The library contains over 5000 back volumes of bound journals. Besides these, a Book Bank facility wherein books are issued to students for one full semester, is also available. The Reference Section contains Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Atlases, Maps, Bound Volumes of journals, Annual Reports, Year Books, M.Ed. and Ph.D. dissertations and NCERT Publications. Loan facility for borrowing books is available. The library is subscribing to several national and international journals useful for teachers, teacher educators, educational administrators and researchers in the field. It has also brought out a catalogue of bound journals in stock. A Multi Media Computer System with a collection of CD ROMs is the latest addition to the library. Internet access is also proposed to be provided from the library.
The courses are residential and all students are generally required to stay in the hostels. Hostel facilities are provided for both men and women students. Each hostel block is self-sufficient in terms of basic facilities.
For Details Contact
Prof. G.T Bhandage, Principal Regional Institute of Education Manasagangothri Mysore - 570 006Phone: +91-821-2514095 Fax: +91-821-2515665