Answers to Chemicals "Test Yourself"
1. What is the difference between an atom and a molecule?
An atom is the simplest building block of matter – elements are made of atoms. Molecules are made of atoms joined together.
2. What is the chemical name for baking soda? And its formula?
Sodium Bicarbonate: NaHCO3
3. Write the equation for carbonic acid splitting into water and carbon dioxide.
H2CO3 = CO2 + H2O
4. A solution of table salt in water is an example of an electrolyte. What ions are present in this solution?
Na+ and Cl- (also H+ and OH-)
5. What element is always present in proteins but not usually in fats or carbohydrates?
6. List three differences between glucose and glycogen.
Glucose is a monosaccharide, glycogen is a polysaccharide (and a much bigger molecule); glucose is sweet to taste and dissolves in water, glycogen is not sweet and is insoluble; glucose is used for energy whereas glycogen stores energy.
7. Which will provide you with the most energy – one gram of sugar or one gram of butter?
Fats provide approximately 2.5 times more energy than carbohydrates – so the butter wins hands down!