.../Theoretical Concepts/Open and online education
Traditionally teaching and learning occurred in a set ‘face-to-face’ environment but like everything else that has changed with technological progress so has the ways in which teaching and learning occur.
Supporting learning in an online environment doesn’t just mean taking what happened in a traditional classroom and put that information online. It actually involves a different approach to learning and teaching as there are whole new arrays of factors that affect the context in which the teaching or facilitation is occurring. This approach is known as online pedagogy.
So what is online or e-learning?
- Look at this link: Mahara e-portfolio in use at a university to see how an e-portfolio works
- Find out about this example: About Mahara
What is online pedagogy?
Broken down into definitions from dictionary.com:
Online – adjective
- available or operating on a computer or computer network
Pedagogy - –noun, plural -gies.
- the function or work of a teacher; teaching.
- the art or science of teaching; education; instructional methods.online. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved March 08, 2009, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/online
Effectively online pedagogy is the practice of facilitating learning online via computer networks using sound facilitation/teaching principles and practices.
Formal learners log into the discussion board on Moodle and share your thoughts. Online Pedagogy'
NB: Online pedagogy is explored further and developed in depth in the GCTLT courses Flexible Learning and Constructing Courses to Enhance Learning.